A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

I haven't figured out the calculator - that thing baffles me :) I was looking at Porter's under Other color combos and the first picture is a Rusty Black. It kind of looks like Penguin. Perhaps that is what he is lol. Ethel and JJ.....the turkey pair that can produce darn near any color!

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I have a couple rusty slate Teenagers from them, so I am a full fledged turkey color producing factory now!

One looks and acts so much looks like Ethel I call her Ethel now and then, I have to check her leg band to see it is not Ethel. I named her Ethel Junior.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  3. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Like mother, like daughter!

So JJ & Ethel produced Penguin who is dark. And they've produced rusty slates....what other colors have you gotten from them? How old are they now?

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I have some bourbon reds, I have some blues. I have all colors, but I had some blues and self blues I bred too, so I really have no idea who is Ethel and JJ's except I know all the weird colors are as the blues and self blues cannot make them.

I have a hen and tom that are very unique, to me anyways. They are very light colored with no blue spots like JJ and Ethel have. They look like my lavenders except they have a light sandy tinge to them on the tails and wings. Very light, I doubt a camera would even pick it up.

I have no idea what to call them, but they are Beautiful. I may keep them to breed to each other next year. As a bonus the TOM is huge! He stands a good 6-8 inches taller than JJ. He is even bigger than Sidekick.

5. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    I wish someone would identify Penguin 's color. Since he is so dark, will you be using him? I would be curious what he could produce.

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I have no plans to use him now. If someone can convince me he is rare, then I would change that. I was just outside with him the sun is shining bright here and from the side he has all the green/blue/bronze hues to his feathers they just shimmered.

But from what I understand there is no demand for a dark turkey.

7. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    So I'm wondering, since he's the product of two rusty slates, what he would produce bred to a slate and Bourbon Red. Namely Daisy & Annie. Both single & looking! :D

I remember Ethel brooding a clutch. Do you incubate turkeys eggs too or just leave it to the hens?

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I incubate, I have very poor luck on the hens raising them to adulthood.

9. RanchDressin

RanchDressin New Egg

Nov 2, 2015
    Hello! I am new to turkeys. A flock of 17 moved in about 3 months ago. They are free range. I am pretty sure it is a mix of toms and hens. If I understand they lay almost everyday, it doesn't appear that they are roosting on the nest/eggs as I watch them roost in a tree every night. How can I figure out if there are eggs being laid?

10. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Hi. Welcome go BYC. Are these wild turkeys? Turkeys are considered seasonal layers. Unlike chickens. It's my understanding that the usual laying season is February /March through early fall. What part of the country are you in?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by