A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Charmed...i vote for three hens. If you only have two, and something happens to one, then your left with one very upset turkey. I worry about that with only having two hens. I need to add one this next spring. I'd love a tom, but still can't decide. It's pretty zen with all chicken & turkey hens right now.

Aurora. ..great costume! I would think one tom plus six hens equals one happy tom!

I say 6 hens is not too many for one Tom.

I started the spring with 4 hens and end with just one left. Ethel. I had one die to an accident and 2 by predators while nesting. I do free range though and that is dangerous. A free range hen does not set their nests in smart areas. One put hers in a lean too with a dirt floor, the rest hid them in the woods,

I do not think 2 hens is enough because bad thing happen to turkeys.

Do you guys feel that 6 hens for one tom is too many or would he be able to handle that many just fine?

I know of people that have as many as 10 hens to one tom without any problems. Six hens would keep the tom busy without any of them getting over-worked by the tom. Of course when you start getting up in those numbers then you start wanting to keep a back up tom also. I tend to try to keep two toms through the winter just in case something should happen to one of them. When breeding season starts, I then sell the tom that I decided not to keep.

I was waiting for it too! I found it very helpful. I vent sexed, was totally wrong. Turns out I am not practiced enough. But the leg thing is spot on with the head shape and leg thickness!

I was waiting for that R2elk!

I like my bourbon too, Memphis, I assume he is a bourbon red, he is Ethel and JJ's kid as is Penguin. The Red likes to follow me everywhere. This morning I was woring outside before the snow came and he followed me into the shed until the air compressor came on, then he decided to leave. I was making a new winter quarters for the Sussex, they sat on and inspected every thing I did.

They even went into the new coop to see if it was up to their standards.
I need to post a picture of our head hen Jumper. She is the most curious and friendly Sussex! She also has quite an impressive comb.

R2elk! Awesome! Thanks! I'll see how that works. Much appreciated!

Aurora and Memphis, those are my favorite pictures...of other people's pets
smile.png

Memphis, the lady I am trading turkeys with raises burbon reds, some kind of rock hen chickens (idk) and duck and geese, all organic fed, for eggs and meat. I guess it's special to get organic grown...

Ralph I can see what you are mixing... If you like mint chocolate it would be good.
I'm more of a non mix kind of girl...vodka shots, Irish whiskey neat...maybe a margarita on the rocks no salt...did too many mudslides one new years and swore off the sweet drink mixes.
Do they make alcohol ice cream? Because I'd try that. Just once or twice.

I can only handle a couple of sweet drinks. BUT, on the alcohol ice cream topic. Ice cream (most any flavor will do) with Kahlua poured over it like chocolate sauce. Amazing.
No pictures. Only had a few hours of daylight and was trying to get a bunch done. I thought the pumpkin would distract them longer.
roll.png

Annie is so curious. And she gets all excited exploring something new. She's so vocal. She starts chirping like crazy. Daisy will saunter over to see what's so exciting, but ends up under my feet.

However, crack open one pecan anywhere near Daisy and watch out! That's her favorite. She gets so impatient. ...Flys up & grabs them out of my hand before I can get it shelled. Then agsin, this is the bird that stole a pizza!
My birds are greedy too! A few hang back but they are usually running from all parts of the yard to find me when they hear the back door open because they always think I have treats. Well, I usually do.

well, R2elk,here's the thing, I gave my tom away because he was mean to my chickens, and I want eggs. So, I'm trading him for hens.

In my experience that is an individual turkey thing. It can just as likely be a hen turkey that causes problems with the chickens as a tom. My toms don't normally bother with the chickens but on occasion a hen may take exception with a rooster.

My best tom was king of the yard and would not tolerate fighting among any of his subjects whether it was chickens or turkeys fighting. Normally any problems between my chickens and turkeys are caused by the chickens (roosters in particular) starting it.

Good luck.

Ugg...Hate the end of daylight savings time & these shorter days! Did get back in town in time go spend time with the girls. They are so funny when i havent seen yhem in a few days! Of course Daisy planted herself in my lap. I noticed she's got pin feathers coming in on her chest. And Annie seems to be growing new wing feathers.

Annie also discovered her reflection in my back door. Ha! She kept pecking at herself, was all fluffed up & kept hopping up & down. And yet again, more weird turkey noises I've never heard before. Funny birds. ..

I hate the time change - it got dark before dinner tonight. This is my least favorite time of year, days are way too short :(

Most of my birds are not happy with us right now. We moved the turkeys and the chickens this week - separating them. They are all very grouchy right now. Turkules has been gobbling at me non-stop. He lost his ladies and gained 4 hoodlums. There's no fighting, but good grief he is LOUD. Everytime he sees me, he lets me know how he feels about this arrangement. The mystery chick that came with the 4 hoodlums got to take up residence with the chickens. Another unhappy and loud bird. Chickie screeches and the hoodlums start yelling at me as well. I am very grateful that my nearest neighbor is the county firehall and I hope they can put up with the ruckus while the poultry reorganization works itself out. :rolleyes:

I sincerely hope that they sort things out soon....they will settle down eventually right?! No injuries and only minor scuffles so far, but they do complain at top volume.

Well it was a productive weekend - but I hope the pets cheer up soon.

Feisty- good luck with your reorganizations! Sounds like quite the riot!

I'm going to have one on my hands here in a few weeks. I just picked up a new BCM roo Saturday to replace mine that decided to flog me routinely (he will be going to freezer camp) and have a CCL roo arriving today along with my new Tom. Once quarentine ends, it's going to be interesting integrating them. The tom shouldn't be too bad since my other two toms will be heading to camp before he takes over but the two roos are both roughly 6-7 months old. I'll already have 2 adult and two juvenile roos out there. My breeding pens won't be finished for a while so everyone has to be together. I'm excited for them, but I'm not anticipating integration lol

ETA: the only good thing about this time change is the little bit of extra sleep I managed to grab and maybe it won't be pitch black at the bus stop with the kids but other than that...yeah, it sucks.

Last edited:
You both have all kinds of fun stuff going on! I'm staying status quo with my turkey & chickdn hens over the winter. Will be adding a few Speckled Sussex this spring. Big Betty is six and my other two SS will be three. Time to restock SS :) I'll spend the winter trying to decide if I need more turkeys! I want a tom...sigh....just can't decide.

Maybe Ralphie will drop off Penguin on his soiree south...thus ending my dilemma.

Both turkeys are still laying eggs. Just a bit surprised.

Back
Top Bottom