A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    I should have named Annie Dora, Dora Explorer! She just has to investigate everything. Saw her stick her whole head in a birdhouse. She's interested in everything. Since the weather has been so nice I'm working in my gardens. Getting things wrapped up for the season. I'm used to gardening with the chickens, but the turkeys add a whole new dimension! I don't allow the birds in my gardens until late fall & winter. So everything is new to the turkeys. Annie has to stick her beak on everything. And everytime I take a break Daisy hops up & sits next to me.
    They got their first pumpkin. Cut a small one in half....chickens have had them before. Didn't take the turkeys long to decide they like pumpkin.

2. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

So funny, I haven't done much gardening with turkeys - I shudder to think of what my young hoodlums could get into. Maybe they'll be sedate mature turkeys when I get to gardening next year :)

Annie sounds like the 'explorer', it's funny how different the two of them are! Did you take any pics of them trying out the pumpkin?

3. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    No pictures. Only had a few hours of daylight and was trying to get a bunch done. I thought the pumpkin would distract them longer. :rolleyes:

Annie is so curious. And she gets all excited exploring something new. She's so vocal. She starts chirping like crazy. Daisy will saunter over to see what's so exciting, but ends up under my feet.

However, crack open one pecan anywhere near Daisy and watch out! That's her favorite. She gets so impatient. ...Flys up & grabs them out of my hand before I can get it shelled. Then agsin, this is the bird that stole a pizza!

4. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Daisy has a bald belly & chest. Someone tell me this is a turkey molt & not some weird turkey issue. I'm used to my chickens molting. I'm anxious for them to both grow new tail feathers. Their tails are rather ratty looking right now.

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Mine get bald chests from rubbing against fences and being stupid. As much as we love our turkeys, I have to tell you, THEY ARE A French fry short of a full meal deal!

I go by the tails they are ratty and half there during the molt, then a short beautiful one comes out.

BTW, I had a small hen that was separated from the flock the other day in a paddock. She was pacing back and forth against the fence screaming and crying because the flock left her. The stupid part comes in, because the gate was wide open, she just had to walk 3 more feet south on her pace to go out the gate.

6. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Hawk! Yikes! Let the chickens & turkeys out early. They were out in their yard ranging. I wandered up to the house for coffee. Left the gate open. Heard Daisy but thought she was just looking for me. Called to her from the back porch & they RAN to the porch completely fluffed up & displaying. I thought they were just being cute until I noticed my chickens huddling a under a bush. They kept looking up. When I came down from the porch to see what was going on it flew off. It was low, flying under my pecan tree canopy. Dang! I've cooped everybody for the day. Ugggg!

7. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Ralph.....i keep watching those tails. Still ratty. I do see smaller feathers in the coop. Daisy is sort of bald on her belly & a bit on the underside of her chest.

My jury is out on how stupid turkeys can be. Seems once I've shown them something they remember it pretty well. I've also found them easier to train than chickens. The one thing I've noticed is when they are a little stressed they don't think. I do enjoy watching them figure out things. Annie is working on the treadle feeder. She's determined. She knows there is food in there, she knows if she steps on it it will open. Problem is it was built for a shorter bodied chicken. So to get her head in there she steps back & it will shut. I can see she's frustrated. She keeps going back to try it. I'm interested to see if she figures it out.

8. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

I would bet that Annie figures out the feeder! I know that my little ones get fixated on something and don't give up until they win :rolleyes:

9. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Pebbles is squatting for me! I didn't realize that turkeys would squat for people but she was acting really rather strange this morning so I was loving her up and rubbing under her wings, trying to cheer her up. She dropped to the floor and spread her wings out and tail up lol. She surprised me and got my toms all excited.

10. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Wow Pebbles! :lol:

I'm heading out of town again this weekend. Daisy can see me loading the van & is barking her beak off!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by