A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    Feel better yet?

2. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aurora, I think it's awesome that you are taming Adam.He's going to be your best friend!

1 person likes this.
  3. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    My girls love being scratched under the wings. Especially Daisy. Just closes her eyes. Keep expecting to hear her snoring! I love the shot of his head peeking out of the brooder. He's really come along way since you got him. Good job! I agree, you're going to be his best friend.

4. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Spent the morning collecting pecans. All the birds love them. Difference is, I can crack one in half & the chickens know how to get the nut out. The turkeys, however, want me to shell them. Sighhh....
    Wondering who has who trained. .....

1 person likes this.
  5. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    I think my birds having been eating pecans all day. Wish they could lay pecan pancakes! The squirrels break them open & the girls eat all the bits. :rolleyes:

6. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    I love the Official BYC Worst Molt Contest, I find it so funny! AND for the first time that I've seen, there is a turkey entry!! Post #34. They have her wearing a shirt.

Let's hear it for naked turkeys!

I want to enter one of mine so badly. ...they are insisting upon hanging on to their feathers.

7. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Yesterday, I introduced Eve and Pebbles to Adam (one at a time of course). I just let the girls stand on top of the brooder and look down in. He has been so wound up and excited ever since he saw them lol. He's going to be in heaven when he gets out of that brooder!

[​IMG]

The pictures all turned out blurry because they were both moving around like crazy but this is the best one I managed. Adam and Eve :) Pebbles took more interest in Adam than Eve did but she's at the point where she's feeling ready to breed so....

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Adam will be a happy guy!

I have not been to the molting thread, I may have to go look.

I did not get back until dark last night. My wife did not get home until after me. All the chickens and guineas had put themselves to bed. All but 5 turkeys did not.

I had 4 on the fence around their run, and Blanchranch's dinner was on the ground outside the fence. I had to help him waddle into the coop, He is so big I did not want to try lifting him.

Then I picked a smaller blue off the fence. ( I was going to say grey but did not want the wrath of Minnie for using the wrong term) He went with a little complaining and wing flopping. I grabbed his wings and pinned them down while I carried him inside.

Next I grabbed the one that instigated sit out strike, Penguin, My DW's favorite, my PITA. He thinks he is above the rules and a tough guy. As soon as I grabbed him and put him under my arm, he started crying like a little girl. Screaming and kicking the whole time. It was hard to believe the spoiled brat would cry like a chick.

Next was JJ, the worlds most perfect turkey Tom. I am sure he was only out there because of something Penguin said or did. JJ is not a huge turkey even at 2 1/2 years old. I suspect he had poor nutrition as a chick/poult. He was happy to have me carry him to safety and did not fight at all, but he is use to being carried and held.

Last one was "sidekick". Sidekick is not bright, and has no brain of his own. He simply does whatever JJ does. He is a year and a half old and HUGE! I had to lift him off the rail, over 6 ft above the ground. I kind of dropped him, lifting him off. Then I had to run him down, catch him and carry him into the coop. I ended up hurting my back slightly, all because Penguin is a PITA!

1 person likes this.
  9. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Ralph....quit blaming poor Penguin for every turkey infraction! He was probably just waiting for his moma to come tuck him in! :lol:

I do hate you hurt your back. Is the turkey you dropped ok?

10. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Aurora..sounds like Adam was thrilled with the speed dating! How long do you think he'll be in lock up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by