A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. memphis

memphis Chicken Obsessed

Aug 6, 2012
    JJ & Ethel are so cool. You can just tell how much Ethel is enjoying the attention! Is there anything better than a sweet turkey? Seriously?

3. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    163 posts! This is what I logged on to this morning... Man, I have been missing a lot!

Thank goodness soccer is almost over. Well, at least regular season will be over after a couple of games today. Then we have indoor, but there are no practices and just one game a week. It will be like I actually have a greater purpose in life than just driving children around.
    That'll be weird...

Not much new has been going on here.

We have had painters here for the past few weeks (the weather has been hit or miss).
    The chickens are ticked at me. They have been locked up most of the time. The painters think our dog is going to eat them. He stays inside, the birds stay locked up.
    The turkeys roam though.
    Tomahawk 2 is kind of obnoxious. If she can't see Banshee or if she is concerned with Banshee paying attention to anyone or anything other than her, she CRIES! Cries and cries and cries.
    She also roosts on top of the pergola thing over the deck at night. That means she poops on the deck all night.
    My DH and Ralphie's DW have the same rule. NO POULTRY ON THE DECK.
    She may see the inside of the oven before Dinner does if she keeps it up.

We caught an adorable raccoon in one of the fox traps... it didn't end up leaving the trap alive.
    No fox though. The ****** is evading his fate. I plan to foul his den again and see if we can't get him to move out for good.

I love all the pics!! JJ and Ethel are as beautiful as ever. All the other birds are looking great too!

I will have to get some pictures of everyone. Just a couple more soccer games....

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Oh, I hate those Live trap malfunctions. Poor Raccoon...

5. memphis

memphis Chicken Obsessed

Aug 6, 2012
    Yeah what up with those live trap malfunctions? Mine has malfunctioned on possums, racoons, feral cats, rats....Poor things.

Hey MM...I guess Tomahawk 2 has decided Banshee is HER guy. I wonder if she'll chill out the more comfortable she feels in her new home. Although the more comfortable Daisy has gotten here, the more possessive she gets of me. If I'm holding the other turkey or a chicken she starts tugging on my clothes & hair. My little shadow.

Had a great weekend working in the yard with all the girls. They are so much help. :rolleyes:
    Although the turkeys do eat acorns! I have millions of them and I hate them!

6. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    It has been dreary and unexciting here, with a ton of rain. Poor birds have not been out to free range for over a week. So today when the rain broke - tossed the turkeys out to run for awhile. Happy chirps!!

Turkules spent all of his "running" time visiting with the chickens - he misses the ladies :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

The "babies" found the least muddy dirt in the yard and had a bath....a very happy chorus of chirping from that quarter (and then a nap).

[​IMG]

And just because I don't think I've posted a recent picture of all 4 of the babies together....

[​IMG]

Then Turkules decided to be a PITA (to borrow Ralph's description). He has decided that puffing and drumming at DH is a good idea. Then he jumped at him. DH was totally unimpressed. I picked Turkules up and stuffed him under my arm and he turned into a big limp noodle - I held him until he chilled out (he hates being picked up and held) and then he was fine. I don't get it - he has never done that towards me, and I would not have thought he would jump at DH. I will need to explain the facts of life to Turkules (he's my sweet boy, he'd better not continue this behavior). I'll probably get DH to go out and pick Turkules up and hold him a few times to establish who is the dominant turkey. I have no idea if this will work - but establishing who is in charge seems to work with dogs, so I'll hope that it sinks into his little turkey brain. Sigh.... too many boys.

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Great Pics.

Turkules most be online with Penguin, discussing how to be a PITA.

I am not that surprised he lunged at your DH. You Toms have to be in charge or try to be. I think your DH is going to have to pick him up and rub his head and carry him around every time he sees Turkules for a while. I pick up JJ a lot, not just because I like to, but I know by JJ thinking I am the top turkey the rest fall in line. I have had a couple young ones that display near me as if they want to be ahead of me, but as soon as I grab for them, it is over,

1 person likes this.
  8. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    This is T-Bone and Cleo my Sweetgrass pair. I had to play turkey noises off of Youtube to get T-Bone to co-operate.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    The pictures of the sweetgrass turkeys are so beautiful! Between the pictures of Chaos and Holm I may have to find me some sweetgrass turkeys.

I want one or two of each. I have said it before, but if I had to chose between turkeys and chickens, the turkeys stay. My DW and I smile and laugh whenever we walk somewhere and have a whole flock following us.

1 person likes this.
  10. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Chaos - those are beautiful turkeys! I agree with Ralph, I want a pair of sweetgrass :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by