A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Great photos of your birds Feisty and Chaos! And I have to agree. I NEED some Sweetgrass turkeys. They are so pretty.

Feisty- Dinner started doing the same thing to my DH, and like Ralph said, have him establish his Top Tom dominance. He will stop.

Memphis- Banshee totally thinks he owns me. If I pet the dog, he comes a running and gets in the middle of it. What really confuses him though, is how the dog gets to go inside and he doesn't.[​IMG] I can't even count the number of times he has tried to get in. Dinner tried a lot too. He used to sleep by the door.

Tomahawk and Banshee have discovered one of the trees out back. I have no idea how it took them so long, but they spend a good part of the day purring up in the tree now.
    I am going to put a decoy owl in their normal roosting spot (it is too high up for me to be able to get them down, and now too cold at night to spray them with the hose). See if I can't get them to move to a new location... like their coop. Or the tree. Or anywhere else, really.

My DH made it clear that once the deck is stained (it will be this week) if there is a bird on the deck, they are getting hit with the airsoft gun. He swears it won't hurt them, but I don't care. I think it is mean. So, I must tell my babies they can't sleep as close to the house as they possibly can anymore. I am sure they will be heartbroken and there will be a lot of crying.
    Mostly by me.

If I wasn't grossed out at the prospect of all the poop everywhere, they would very likely be indoor/outdoor turkeys. Oh, and if my DH wouldn't divorce me over it. I guess that plays a small factor too. Very minimal.

2. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Thanks MM and Ralph! I'll be having DH pick up Turkules periodically to show him who is in charge and hopefully that little quirk will settle out. I thought it was strange that he doesn't do that to me - DH definitely has a more dominant personality. Mind you, I just pick him up and stuff him under my arm like a football when he misbehaves and he's a perfect gentleman around me.

MM - I can just imagine Banshee standing at the door looking puzzled about why you didn't hold the door open for him too :p

I'm curious to hear if decoy owl works as a deterrent - I may get one for the top of the shop and barn to keep them from roosting on top of the buildings and making a mess (they know I can't reach them there). The babies are still not convinced about roosting in the barn, and have to be baited in with treats every night. Although they may have figured out that if they wait until I get annoyed.....then there'll be treats :rolleyes:

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I lost a BBB today to natural causes.

4. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

Sorry to hear that :(

I got a surprise today! I got to see Adam in full strut today for the first time in his pen :) He's so big and pretty lol. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera on me at the time.

1 person likes this.
  5. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015
    Ralph - sorry to hear about your BBB loss :(

Carrying Turkules under my arm is the only way I can keep his wings pinned when I pick him up lol. He's never thrilled about it, but it seems to be enough to keep him behaving like a gent. He's still slim enough that I can carry him like a football (albiet a long and gangly one) - when he puts on a few more pounds I'm going to have to find a new way to tote him around when he gets obnoxious :p

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

You two were suppose to ask what the natural cause was...

It was natural this time of year for a BBB. An axe fell on his neck..

I do not have an accurate weight yet, but it will be around 28-29 pounds based on the bathroom scale. He was having troubles walking and seemed weak so I processed him early.

7. RetiredRon

RetiredRon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2015
    Vilonia AR
    I just found my Tom all tangled in my nieghbor's electric fence. I ran over, turned off yhe power and got him out.. i thought he was dead when i reached him. He is alive but absolutely in shock... I brought him home after he wanted down.. i tried to get him to drink, but he just got in a small dark corner. The same thing happened to one of my chickens a couple days ago and she still and right. Has anyone experienced this?

8. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015

I don't know if an axe qualifies as 'natural' causes :D

9. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015

Ouch!! Poor birds!

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I would sit in the corner and just rock if I was wrapped in an electric fence too..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by