A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Aww...what a sweet guy! It was just me & Daisy for several weeks. Now she has a roomate & free ranges with the flock but still wants to take naps on mom's lap. Sounds like Banshee is the same way. Even with his new girl. I'm betting Adam will be the same. I can believe how sweet turkeys can be. They are special.

So Ralph...pack Penguin' s suitcase and put him in a canoe out on the Mississippi & I'll pick him up in Memphis!

MM...sounds like the owl is a success! I had to laugh about your stove. Been there!

time I think I want guineas I just read a few posts over on the guinea thread and I change my mind pretty quickly. Was reading how this guy's guineas surrounded a mink giving him the chance to kill it. It had been eating his koi. Someone asked him how many guineas he had....65! This guy has 65 guineas! I can't even imagine what that's like!

Well guess I need to forget about winning the the official Worst Molt contest with a turkey. Both girls are going through some sort of molt. I'm seeing feather scattered about and they are growing new feathers. Especially on their neck, chests, and wings. They still are laying eggs tho. I do have a Barnvelder that looks like she went through a plucker. But I really wanted a good turkey entry. :(

Ron is there any way you could put up some bird netting to keep the birds out of the electric fence?  

My neighbor said he was going to unplug it.. He likes them coming over... They are hilarious to watch and he thinks so too... Darkie, the rooster/cockrell till April. .. snaps at his heels... He laughs it off, the meter reader didn't though. .. I guess I need to add a new sign. I have no trespassing and Beware of Dog... I'm thinking I need one, "Forget the Dog, Watch out for the rooster."
Tom seemed really lethargic this morning. . He got better as the day went on... He didn't go up in the sleeping area with the rest tonight, he slept on a stick elevated underneath.
After hearing how good they are in the elements and he can just go up top any time, I let him stay... I checked on them.. they were all crashed..
I took some bread out to see if they would take it out of my hand.. Darkie, the rooster. . Took it quick but kept giving it to the two hens, Lady Elvis and Chip... Lady would take it from me but it took some patients to get Chip and the turkeys to take it.. Larry was first then her sister Curly... finally later tonight, Tom took some.. He wasnt eating at first today, but he came around, but I noticed the turkeys didn't leave the yard.... The chickens did tho..

A great awakening happened yesterday at our house. We were sending the BBB to freezer Camp and had him done and were talking about the turkeys and the new roosting building we are making them.

I said we have too many Toms, we need to get rid of some.

The DW said "I thought Coffee was going to buy one for thanksgiving"
I then told her I had to renege on the deal because they are teenagers and all bones and feather no meat when you pick them up.

She asked if I thought they would be ready by Xmas. I said no, maybe in Feb.

She said "what about Penguin?"

I said " he would be ready then too".

She said " We can't keep him can we?"

I said "nope"

She said, I suppose we will have to eat him then."

I told her" no, we will let someone else eat Penguin"..

I am making progress with Penguin, I think he is off the protected list.

Wow

Ralph, I have to say, you have made more than just Penguin progress with your DW.

You realize you have made a huge milestone in your marriage... she is coming around to your side of the fence!

While I do not condone the demise of Penguin (after all, I have known him since he hatched), I am thrilled at the prospect this turn of events means for your poultry addiction, I mean, hobby...

Memphis- Once Ralph had me thinking I wanted Guineas. I saw an ad on Craigslist for Guineas. He strongly suggested I invest in them. My DH reminded me that we didn't have the best place for them and they would likely take off, so I didn't get them.
THEN, all I hear from Ralph is how bad the Guineas are. Guinea on trial for this, Guinea on death row for that, Guinea in Jail for something else, Guineas in a gulag. He also posted a video of them. Loud. So very loud.
My advice to you is not to listen to Ralph when he will inevitably tell you to get them.
On the other hand, my feed store in town has some guineas, yes, they are loud. They are also good watchdogs and really pretty. I would actually consider getting them.... but I know the noise would drive my neighbors nutso.
And I would always be posting about the gang of Guineas getting put in jail.

Back
Top Bottom