A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Nice looking bird, i like the color too, he would fit in well here, with my calico flock.

2. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Aurora - FINALLY, some pictures :) He is a gorgeous boy! Big too. I love his coloring and he poses so nicely for pictures :clap

3. Brandychick

Brandychick Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2015
    Apple Valley, Utah

GG is on the right, Tonto left. They just had a major strutt off while we were closing up some gaps in the coop. So we're sure he is a Gorge not a Gloria. Tonto will likely go back to the neighbors. If I can find a hen sooner than he gains weight I may have a chance to save him from my husbands plate.

4. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    :eek:. WOW Adam! He is gorgeous! He's huge for only being 6 months old!! Photo bomb anytime! ! :D. Now that's a hunk 'o lap turkey!

I've wanted Sweetgrass forever! I'm going to have to live vicariously through you guys!

Ralph....a Sweetgrass & Bourbon Red sound like the perfect additions to the calico flock!

Brandychick...My hens display on occasion. I agree with Ralph. It's hard to really tell in your picture but it looked like a hen to me too. Can you get a closer picture!

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    A couple of my hens dispay, very occasionally I would think meeting a new turkey is a good time to display as they want to show they are not a push over..

Oh snd it might be old age BUT Ethel hasstarted to make a rudimentary beard. It cannot be seen, but I can feel it when I am petting and rubbing her neck. I showed my DW and she was shocked and asked Ethel if she was in menopause.

Brandy I remember what I wanted to ask you, When "he" displayed was his snood way beyond his beak or not? Was the display a long one or short?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I am disappointed my Jersey Buff is a Tom I think. It dispalys now and then and acts like an Arse, so it most likely is. BUT I keep hoping it is a hen, it has fine legs and a shorter snood. I need a Red hen!

7. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Brandy Chick, Very nice looking turkey even if it is a He.
    Aurora, Adam is a very handsome boy. He will make pretty babies with Eve!

8. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Thanks everyone, Adam is my handsome boy :)

Today was eventful. I went out to the turkey coop to build a poop board and mount the roost above it and found that Cupid and Able had decided that they were going to fight today. They only have about a week left with us! We may just butcher them this weekend instead if i can talk hubby into it. They look AWFUL! They didn't look like this, this morning :/

[​IMG]

I have Able in the cage now for his own protection. Cupid is the more dominant one.

I did manage to do the roost after getting them separated. Here's what the coop looks like now. The poop board still needs painted but i can do that later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pebbles just hanging out, watching me take pictures.

[​IMG]

9. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama

10. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    They have to settle pecking order. It's sad and painful. I separated mine to. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by