A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I let mine fight it out. In the sprig of the year their heads are all scabby and they get a few bruises. But they have never done serious damage to each other.

2. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    It kinda scared me. They've never fought like this before. Both their wattles are all swollen up and so are their snoods and scabs all over their heads. They're voices are rough now like their throats are swelled too.

3. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I think it would be fine. Mine get all swollen too, but they need to work out a pecking order. Once it is established it is strictly enforced and there should be no further problems.

4. Auroradream26

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    I'll try releasing Able tomorrow morning and supervise them for a little bit too make sure they don't kill each other.

5. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Yikes...Poor guys. I'd separate them too. Pebbles is quite cute and I like the coop. So as soon as they are "gone" does Adam get let loose with the ladies.

Ralph, how old is the Jersey Buff? I hope Ethel 's beard will grow out!! How cute would that be? Are you serious about adding a red bird to the calico flock?

Got another two turkey eggs today.

6. Auroradream26

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

Pebbles is my sweetheart. She's always snuggling up with me when I go in to visit. She was a bit stressed out here though because I was moving wood around and using the drill in there lol.

Adam gets to take over as soon as Cupid and Able are gone, yes. He's going to love it and the ladies will be so impressed with him I think :)

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I might, I will just wait for JJ and Ethel to have a red baby. They are super birds and can give me EVERYTHING!!!

8. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    JJ & Ethel have produced quite the variety already. :D
    They are pretty amazing.

9. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Welcome to the thread Brandychick! Seems as if you will fit right in... coffee and talk of fortification to ease your turkey worries!
    I agree, GG looks like a hen. Hens will certainly display and pull snoods in order to establish their order.

Adam is so handsome and huge! I think he is bigger than Banshee.

Banshee also doesn't strut and get all red in the face yet though. He puffs up when he is getting the dog to chase after him. No gobbles yet either. I have a very gentlemanly tom, I guess.

I hope the turkeys figure out their pecking order... or just leave each other alone until they are "gone".

I too had a horrible day yesterday... no fighting and bloody messes... worse.

LICE.

As you know, it was freezing cold and I wanted to stay snuggled in the house all day. Eventually I decided to wander out and say hello to the chickens.
    One of my usually very spirited hens was just sitting on the roost, looking tired. I picked her up and gave her a once over. The fact that I could pick her up was a huge indicator as to her feeling unwell.
    I didn't see anything, checked for mites under her wings and around her neck, nothing. No nits, no wounds, no obvious signs of her odd behavior.
    I went back inside and poured another cup of coffee.
    That's when I noticed it. I had a bug crawling on my arm.
    A horrifying creature that looks to be out of the scariest of horror films.
    Coffee went flying. Words of choice went flying. I went flying back out to the coop to inspect a spot I had left untouched... A lady requires a bit of dignity...
    There they were. Lice.
    Needless to say, I spent the better part of the day cleaning out the coop and dusting birds... in 30 degree weather with gusts of wind up to 30 mph and snow. It was miserable. I am a whimp.
    I felt like a needed to shower in gasoline.
    Luckily for me, the chickens hated it as much as I did and I ended up with quite a fair amount of Sevin dust all over me too. I think I am in the clear for a lice infestation.

10. Auroradream26

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Oh no! Not lice! I'd have been as miserable as you were out there. The cold and I have never gotten along :/ I hope you managed to destroy them all in one blow!

I did let Able out of the cage this morning. There is definitely a pecking order rearrangement going on right now. He's being respectful to Cupid and staying out of his way but all the hens are challenging him now too. Them, he's putting in their place. I have to get out there and check to make sure everyone is doing OK but I'm slacking. It's so much more inviting here with my tea in front of the heater lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by