A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I found out when you live in the south there are ALL KINDS of crawley things. Luckily we've avoided the lice/mites on the fowl.

And your right Ralph....I'd rather have the cold weather vs. our hot weather. This heat kills quickly! It can be stressful in mid-summer for all the animals when it doesn't get under 85 at night. Its tough. And my guess is Mr. Penquin is looking for his moma!! He wants attention. I think you need to spend more time with him.

Geez those are some huge birds! Can they even fit into an oven? Are these heritage turkeys or BB?

MM...I'm facinated that the feed store and liquor store are next too each other! What an advantage that would be! Glad the Seven is working. Ewwwww

I found out when you live in the south there are ALL KINDS of crawley things. Luckily we've avoided the lice/mites on the fowl.

And your right Ralph....I'd rather have the cold weather vs. our hot weather. This heat kills quickly! It can be stressful in mid-summer for all the animals when it doesn't get under 85 at night. Its tough. And my guess is Mr. Penquin is looking for his moma!! He wants attention. I think you need to spend more time with him.

Geez those are some huge birds! Can they even fit into an oven? Are these heritage turkeys or BB?

MM...I'm facinated that the feed store and liquor store are next too each other! What an advantage that would be! Glad the Seven is working. Ewwwww

The only thing better than the liquor store next to the feed store would be if the feed store sold Mikes and Schnapps.

You can always put more clothes on when it gets cold, but can not take anything off once you have no more on....(Confucius saying I believe)

I hope he fits in the oven. We only have 5 people here for thanksgiving, so should be enough turkey to go around.

We are in those first dreary days now, so I am kind of down and doing nothing, I think I need to start drinking early today...

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly about hot vs cold. You can always bundle up more. And the older I get the less I can tolorate the heat!

I think you'll have MORE than enough turkey for five folks. Where these BB or heritage turkeys?

Its actually bright and sunny here today. But for the last four days the weather nerds were playing up these huge storms heading our way. They were suposed to hit last night. They scare the heck out of you for days. Well the storm went through last night and it was a big nothing! We did get some rain...but none of the crazy wind and lighting they had been predicting. I know it was worse north of here. But I'm tired of this trend where the weather folks are predicting the worst for days on end.

Ralphie....have you tried the calculator yet. I find it fun and amusing!!

I will say....this time of year when I get home and its already dark I just want to go to bed. I loose all momentuem.

I'm the opposite of all you guys! I prefer the heat! I can anyways dive in the pool or spray off with the hose if needed but in the cold, I just can't get warm. Literally. I wear my husband's military cold weather under stuff (kinda like industrial long underwear), sweat clothes, and his military snow suit to keep warm outside in the winter. Anything less than that and I freeze. He on the other hand throws on a half decent coat and jeans and he's good :/

Aurora I am with you. I am always absolutely freezing in the cold. Give me some sunshine and I go out and worship it.

Memphis, I have been losing all momentum too. It gets dark and I start talking about how late it is and time for bed. The kids are like, "mom, it is 5..."

I am feeling a bit depressed too Ralph. It is cold, the sun came out, but it is still too cold to be out, and I am second guessing the fact that Banshee is a boy.

I got to thinking after I typed that he hadn't gobbled, doesn't strut really, and honestly, his snood is *ahem* shy. So I looked up some pictures. He does have dark edging on his chest feathers... but upon much closer inspection, they are just more sparse at the tips and the color of the feather underneath shows through and makes it look dark.
I will have to get a few pictures for everyone to tell me what you think.

He kicks like a crazy lunatic when I flip him over, no settling down. Always has. Silkie thought he was a tom from the start (judging by pics)
He didn't want to hang out with Dinner when he got all strutty and was sad when Tomahawk 1 sided with Dinner.

I just don't know. I think I need to have a cocktail to ease my troubled mind.

Aurora and MM - I'm with you about cold...hate it! I'm pretty sure that I am solar-powered, since I seem to run out of steam when it's cold and dark :lol:

It's wet and windy here this week, and it feels really stupidly cold after our hot summer. I am thankful that we don't see much snow here. I used to live northern Canada, and I'm always happy when I don't have to "shovel" the precipitation.

It makes me laugh at how little the rain and cold bothers the birds - they happily roost outside in the pouring rain while I shiver :)

The turkeys seem to enjoy the miserable weather.
My chickens are total wussies. Snow? Nope. No way. Not going out unless they HAVE to. I usually make that happen...

Banshee is 6 months. I also went digging... In his neck feathers. No beard yet.
I need another cocktail.
1f629.png

My chickens don't seem to mind the weather either - I usually have to tell them to go in at night even when it's cold and raining. I have not seen them in the snow yet, I would be curious what they think of it....

My little turkeys have developed so much differently than Turkules did. They are just over 3 months and I can feel their beards starting already and their snoods hang past their beaks. Turkules had a distinctly girly-looking snood until 6 months and his beard only started in the last month. I had no idea they could be so different in how fast they develop lol. I'm not sure if Turkules was a late bloomer or if the others are early.....

A cocktail always makes these things clearer for me :rolleyes:

My chickens don't mind the rain unless it's a total downpour but you can forget snow. No way. Even if I throw trays in it, only a couple date to come get them lol. The turkeys don't mind the rain too much but they like to hang out in the chicken's run when it rains. Must be more relaxing. I'll have to wait until we have snow to see how that goes.

So, I'm thinking I may do a switcharoo tomorrow. I may move Cupid and Able to the big garage brooder and go ahead and let the king enter his castle and meet all his queens :) I'm not positive if we're butchering those boys this weekend officially or not till next weekend but either way, if they're in the garage, I can stuff them full of corn if we wait till next weekend. What do you guys think? Should I go for it?

Back
Top Bottom