A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

MM....the lice are one thing....the 30 degrees with wind like that is another! That would kill me. Your a brave woman!

Welcome to the thread Brandychick! Seems as if you will fit right in... coffee and talk of fortification to ease your turkey worries!
I agree, GG looks like a hen. Hens will certainly display and pull snoods in order to establish their order.

Adam is so handsome and huge! I think he is bigger than Banshee.

Banshee also doesn't strut and get all red in the face yet though. He puffs up when he is getting the dog to chase after him. No gobbles yet either. I have a very gentlemanly tom, I guess.

I hope the turkeys figure out their pecking order... or just leave each other alone until they are "gone".

I too had a horrible day yesterday... no fighting and bloody messes... worse.

LICE.

As you know, it was freezing cold and I wanted to stay snuggled in the house all day. Eventually I decided to wander out and say hello to the chickens.
One of my usually very spirited hens was just sitting on the roost, looking tired. I picked her up and gave her a once over. The fact that I could pick her up was a huge indicator as to her feeling unwell.
I didn't see anything, checked for mites under her wings and around her neck, nothing. No nits, no wounds, no obvious signs of her odd behavior.
I went back inside and poured another cup of coffee.
That's when I noticed it. I had a bug crawling on my arm.
A horrifying creature that looks to be out of the scariest of horror films.
Coffee went flying. Words of choice went flying. I went flying back out to the coop to inspect a spot I had left untouched... A lady requires a bit of dignity...
There they were. Lice.
Needless to say, I spent the better part of the day cleaning out the coop and dusting birds... in 30 degree weather with gusts of wind up to 30 mph and snow. It was miserable. I am a whimp.
I felt like a needed to shower in gasoline.
Luckily for me, the chickens hated it as much as I did and I ended up with quite a fair amount of Sevin dust all over me too. I think I am in the clear for a lice infestation.

Nice cover story.
wink.png
We will be sure to tell your DH it was turkey lice and you did not get it from a public toilet...
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Seriously ewwwwwww! I dread them. I keep hoping to never find one. If the chickens or turkeys get them, the dogs will. if the dogs get them and bring them in the house ,we will.. Ewwwwwww! Growing up on the farm we would have a round of them off the cows every few years, I hate lice! Good luck getting rid of them.

MM....the lice are one thing....the 30 degrees with wind like that is another! That would kill me. Your a brave woman!

I think MM and I have the same weather today, I am stalling going outside it is so miserable and snow is suppose to be coming,,ewwwwwww

But I would rather have our cold weather than your summer heat...really bad ewwwwwww!

I was having a senior moment, so I read back to see if I mentioned I dressed out another BBB last night. I did not.

The one Monday went 28-29 pounds. I thought that was the big one and I was worried about him because of his legs looking like they were giving out and he seemed to lack energy. I thought he had a heart problem as I drained fluid off him about a month ago. He only had a slight amount around his heart. which is good.

But I digress, the "smaller" one I sent to camp last night went over 30 pounds! Boy did I get that wrong. He was the number 3 bird in the pecking order.

Today I am having all kinds of snood pulling and fighting going on. I could not figure out why, then it dawned on me. I took 2 toms out of the order this week, one being a high ranking one. This is a fight to see who the new number 3 is. DUH. I can be so stupid!

At least I hope that is it and it is temporary and they do not fight all winter.

Ralph - those are some big birds you've been growing! I don't think either would fit in my oven lol.

MM - Ewww, crawly things freak me out too :p I haven't found lice yet, but we had a brief battle with fleas on the babies - they really grossed me out and I needed a couple of fortifying beverages before we dusted everyone.

I am now down to 20 turkeys, (I think).

I see 19 playing and eating under the apple trees and garden area.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what color bird is on the deck and what his name is?

The lice were so bad. I keep thinking I feel them all over.
Thank heavens the hardware store and liquor store are next to each other.
I had a serious need for fortifying beverages. And being it was so cold, schnapps was the only thing that would do!

I was able to muster enough courage to check on them this morning without an alcoholic beverage.... good thing because I volunteer in my daughters class on Thursday mornings.

Looks like we are already doing some damage with the Sevin powder. Whew.

Ralph- First, you are hilarious. We all know it was really from a tractor seat....
Actually, I have been thinking it was the darn magpies. My girls were fine, molted, we had an abundance of magpies in the yard and garden, now they have lice. I never saw any on Tomahawk while she was quarantined. Banshee doesn't have any either.
Actually, it has been a crazy year for bugs around here. Tons more than usual... likely because of the wet spring and early summer we had, I guess.

I digress. Second, congrats on the turkey weights!! Are you going to leave them whole or section them up?
Third, your signature changes have me laughing all the time! I like how you made sure the nasty gram would not be finding its way to you.

On a completely unrelated to lice topic, my daughter asked her teacher if she could bring Banshee in for show and tell. She promised her teacher I would put a diaper on him and even a leash.

Luckily, her teacher said "no".

I can only imagine the mean looks and cold shoulder Banshee would give me for weeks if I did that to him.

We brought a turkey into our kids classes when they were 2nd and 5th grade. No Diaper, it went fine.

His trip inside might not be quite the way he expects now that he is off the protected list.

And lastly, one most always be on the look out for potential nasty grams and double secret probation.

Back
Top Bottom