A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

We're butchering turkeys for the first time today. I'm a bit nervous. We've done quite a few roosters but somehow the turkeys seem different. Probably because I've really become attached the their nature. The two were doing are the two extra slate boys. I'm not attached to them and they're extremely flighty but still...

How old are they?

Good luck on the chore.

When I did my BBB I scalded it in hot water for a few seconds, then dunked him in cold water, the feathers really came out easy and no scalded ripped skin.. Do the wing feathers last they need time to loosen.

How old are they?

Good luck on the chore.

When I did my BBB I scalded it in hot water for a few seconds, then dunked him in cold water, the feathers really came out easy and no scalded ripped skin.. Do the wing feathers last they need time to loosen.

They are just over 6 months old so they're not huge (nothing like Adam) that's why were doing both of them. I always thought that you pull the wing feathers immediately after scalding, that they'd come out easier that way. I'll have to try your way. It's a wonderful 33° at the moment so I have a feeling we'll be freezing to death :/

How would you experts do this? We usually let birds rest 2 days in the fridge after butcher to relax before freezing but thanksgiving is on Thursday. Should we just keep them in the fridge until then or what?

They are just over 6 months old so they're not huge (nothing like Adam) that's why were doing both of them. I always thought that you pull the wing feathers immediately after scalding, that they'd come out easier that way. I'll have to try your way. It's a wonderful 33° at the moment so I have a feeling we'll be freezing to death
hmm.png

How would you experts do this? We usually let birds rest 2 days in the fridge after butcher to relax before freezing but thanksgiving is on Thursday. Should we just keep them in the fridge until then or what?

My plan was to do mine tomorrow and just leave them in the fridge, I would leave it in the fridge now.

I want pictures of the dressed birds and what you think of their size. I was going to butcher some of mine but I decided they would be all bones with no meat on them. Also when you eta them let me know how they were. It could mean some of mine will be Xmas guests.

They probably will be very boney but the good thing about Thanksgiving for us is that we don't put the big, cooked bird in the middle of the table and carve it. We pull all the meat off and stick the tray of meat on the table lol. So, it doesn't matter if they look skinny, as long as they have enough meat on them to feed 6 people.

Chaos - I hope Cleo does okay today, and is feeling better when you get home :fl

MM - Glad you are feeling good this morning - always nice to enjoy yourself and not have repercussions the next day :D DH really like the picture of your turkeys out with the deer!

Ralph - I love the feeder - storage and feeder combined. Hmmm, that may be something we look into making. My turkeys seem to go through so much feed, little oinkers that they are (it's probably just because I'm comparing them to the chickens lol).

Aurora - Good luck with your dinner guests, don't freeze and let us know how it goes.

Memphis - good luck at the dog show!!

You should be able to get sevin at any store that has gardening supplies. I know Home Depot carries it all year.
Good luck with her! I hope she is okay!
Did you notice any runny eyes, sneezing or discharge from her nostrils?
How is her crop?

Aurora- good luck today!

Thank you everyone for your luck, advice, and encouragement. Mission accomplished. They're both resting in the fridge now. They were not as scrawny and boney as i had expected. Definitely not broad breasted type though. They should be plenty for thanksgiving. One dressed out at 8-9 lbs, the other at 7 lbs. Here are pictures as requested. They're the same bird in the first two pictures but both pretty much looked the same.

Back
Top Bottom