A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I found if I use real hot water and do not dunk them for too long then move them to a cold water dunk the feathers came out and the skin did not tear.

If the feathers are still tight repeat and try pulling them again. When we started doing this we no longer tore the skin at all.

Heat the water up to 160°F and the turkey skin will not tear while you are plucking it.

Heat the water up to 160°F and the turkey skin will not tear while you are plucking it.

I was told that, but I found holding 160 is hard and the cold water seemed to help firm the skin and made the feathers less hot to grab.

I wish I had a way to keep the water at 160 but, I don't seem to be able to manage that.

I found if I use real hot water and do not dunk them for too long then move them to a cold water dunk the feathers came out and the skin did not tear.

If the feathers are still tight repeat and try pulling them again.  When we started doing this we no longer tore the skin at all.

I was told that, but I found holding 160 is hard and the cold water seemed to help firm the skin and made the feathers less hot to grab.

I wish I had a way to keep the water at 160 but, I don't seem to be able to manage that.

I'll have to remember to try that next time and see how it goes. We don't measure the water temp so we don't keep track of where it is. It's never to the boiling point though and we only dunk for 20-30 seconds at most. Usually when we pull it out of the water and the feathers pull out really easy, we say it's been dunked enough.

Well Cleo is still alive. I've got her resting in the garage out of the weather. Shes got fresh water and scrambled eggs in front of her. I sevined under her wings, her back and her butt area. Any thoughts on a wormer to try on her? When I was dusting her I noticed she was keeping her one foot curled up. Thoughts on what that means?

On a lighter note when I went up to the turkey coop to get Cleo and bring down to the garage I managed to lock myself in the turkey coop. :lau Luckily I had my cell phone and my wife was awake.

Stopping in for a quick note about Chais's hen( we all know I need to go to bed early tonight...)
I would suggest wazine for worms. There is another that people alternate between, but the name is escaping me.
Check her poop tomorrow... Worms would be evident so would cocci.
Hope she gets better!
Funny you got locked in!

I'll chat tomorrow everyone! Aurora- the birds look great!

Hey ya'll. ..I'm still on the road with the dogs. Heading to spend Thanksgiving with family in St . Louis later today. I'M FREEZING!

Also been suffering turkey Thanksgiving jokes from those who know I have turkeys. Geez!

Chaos ... you might post on the Emergency thread. I wish I had better advice. What did we do before cell phones?

On a lighter note when I went up to the turkey coop to get Cleo and bring down to the garage I managed to lock myself in the turkey coop.
lau.gif
Luckily I had my cell phone and my wife was awake.

I would have slept in the coop before I told my DW I was locked in the coop. Maybe broke something to get out, anything but tell her I was locked in...anything

Hey ya'll. ..I'm still on the road with the dogs. Heading to spend Thanksgiving with family in St . Louis later today. I'M FREEZING!

Also been suffering turkey Thanksgiving jokes from those who know I have turkeys. Geez!

Chaos ... you might post on the Emergency thread. I wish I had better advice. What did we do before cell phones?

Take a break from family and drive 10 hours north to visit Penguin.

Whew....if we were only closer! I even have a spare dog crate in the van. Penguin could become a snowbird & spend the winter south of the Mason Dixon. My girls would love it!

Back
Top Bottom