A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I would be careful about doing their feet, I am a worry wart, but I think they need those sharp toes for defense and clutching on the roosts.

I have 12 degrees this morning. The house even feels cold.

Those feeders are great.

I made them out of a 55 gallon cardboard barrel. I think you could make them out of a plastic one too. I have a hole in the bottom about 6-8 inches long and 4 inches high. The hole faces the corner with the feed build up. Make sure the hole is not higher than the board blocking the feed from the ground. I goofed on that in earlier versions.

The only hang up is a hang up. Occasionally the feed will hang up and I need to hit the side of the barrel to get it to drop. but that does not happen very often. I set the barrel on a piece of OSB with 2x4s und it to support the weight of the barrel and hold the feeder up so the spoiled birds do not have to pick their food off the ground. It makes a good way to store the feed and feed it.

The partial barrel on top the main barrel is meant to keep Ginger from sitting up there.. He or she thinks that is her roost. Above that OI have another OSB that simply keeps poop out of the feed. I use the same set up in the chicken coop, but I have no need of a poop board there, The chickens are smart enough to not roost on their feed or poop in it.

It takes some experimenting to get the feed restraining boards the right height, The one I have in the creamette pen is too low and they spread the feed onto the ground. If I was not such a lazy bum I would have added another 2x2 to it.

I guess I told you more than whether I had a hole there or not.

2. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Chaos- did you check for lice, mites, etc? Check under her wings and her vent.

3. mountain mom

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Sounds cold, Ralph! Brrrr!
    We are at a balmy 21 degrees this morning.

I like the feeder! Nice to not have to constantly check feed.

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I never check my birds vent, I think that is way too personal..

And MM did you need aspirin this morning?

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

It is great to be able to fill it and know it is good for a couple weeks, Especially here where it gets real cold, I do not have to be filling feeders when it is 30 below.

6. mountain mom

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    I agree, it is way too personal. But that is where the lice really like to live. *barf*

Surprisingly I feel great this morning. I am a bit shocked.[​IMG]

7. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    Just checked her for bugs and nothing stood out. Not that I really know what I'm doing. Doesn't look like she's going to make it in my non-professional option.

8. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    Sucks because I have to work today and can't really help her very much. Not that I'd know what to do for her anyway.

9. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    We're butchering turkeys for the first time today. I'm a bit nervous. We've done quite a few roosters but somehow the turkeys seem different. Probably because I've really become attached the their nature. The two were doing are the two extra slate boys. I'm not attached to them and they're extremely flighty but still...

10. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Chaos-I hope Cleo will be ok. it's so hard knowing one of them doesn't feel good but not knowing why :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by