A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    MM - I think you should get whichever tom gives you the most interesting babies....and maybe your DH will relent and let you keep more :) The self blue gives you more options if I remember right. It's very cool that R2elk has spare toms!

Ralph - Penguin is still pretty cute - even though you keep threatening him with the oven :( I think your numbers have been pretty flexible.....how many birds do you have now??

Aurora - I agree, it would be impossible for me to keep it to 3 as well.

Turkey math is kicking in over here....My new bourbon girl should be ready for pick up on Sunday! We'll put her in one of the tractors where she can see the others while we go through a quarentine period. Hoping that being able to see the others will help her not be too lonely while we make sure that she's healthy.

We had lots of frost this morning - which is cold for here. But it's been sunny, annd is a wonderful change from our customary rain. Maybe if it's a little cold here this week, I'll be better acclimated for when I go north next week lol. We probably need to stack another cord of wood one day soon too. Was very excited - our new generator arrived this week and is sitting in the back of the truck. NOW we can have another stupid wind storm!

2. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

It's always nice to have a ton of wood stacked and ready to go. We still have a bunch of logs to split from the trees we cut down this spring. I have a nice fire going in the fireplace now and it's so relaxing :). We wanted to get a wood insert in this year but it never happened. Hopefully next year.

3. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    For those of you that offer a continuous supply of feed to your turkeys. What are you guys using? I dont think my turks like there current five gallon bucket with pvc elbows.

4. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    I give fermented feed in one of those rubber bowls from TSC.I'm not sure if that's considered continuous feed or not but I never let it run out of food. They are happy with it though Adam is always tripping over it since he can't see down over his puffed up chest lol

5. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Oh man! I know it's cold where most of you are .... your making me jealous with the toasty fires and yummy drinks!

MM, I'm agreeing on the self blue. They are gorgeous. Did you ask if any were lap tukeys? Also, DH it seems, has agreed to a third turkey. That's moving in the right direction! Somehow you need to get him more engaged with the birds. Once he realizes how cool they are he may bond with one! Look at Ralphie 's DW, she fell for Penguin . Named Ginger, and you all saw the picture of her hugging Ethel. Ralph promptly exploited those emotions to expand his flock! :lol: Show him that turkey video!!

Fiesty. ..can't wait to see the new girl!! Exciting!

6. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Adam! Still strutting! I can just imagine him falling over into his food bowl.

Chaos. ..I feed a dry feed in bowls that are mounted on the wall in their pen. I keep them full. They are mounted high enough for them to reach easily but not get their feet in them. Or fall into them!

7. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015
    Aurora - I can imagine Adam strutting through his dinner lol. My boys can't see what's under their feet either :rolleyes:

Chaos - mine always have food out as well, they have one of those large hanging feeders. They seem to like it (and I like it because they can't step in it or spill it).

8. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    I'm getting ready to leave for a week. Showing & judging dogs. Plus a drive by to St. Louis for Thanksgiving with family. Till now I've only been gone a few days at a time. It's going to kill me to leave my turkeys for a week. I've had my chicken sitter over here several times to bond with the girls. It's not them....it's her....she's intimidated by them. She's great with the chickens. But a little freaked by the turkeys. I think they sense it. Daisy is screwing with her. Sort of funny. But boy, she's not shy about demanding attention! We were sitting on a bench talking & Daisy hopped up behind me and was tugging on my hair & shirt. She even started chest bumping me. Finally had to let her settle down in my lap & she was perfectly content. My sitter is refusing to cuddle my turkeys! :rolleyes:

9. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015

Just think how happy they will be to see you when you get back!! Maybe because this is a longer time - your bird sitter will get over being intimidated by them? If they sit in her her lap, she'll learn to love them really quick :D

10. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado

So funny!!! As circumstances have proven, my DH father is not well. We will be traveling for the Thanksgiving holiday. Hopefully, my semi poultry loving neighbors will take care of the hands and one rooster. Thank God I don't hace to pick up the Tom turkey just yet. I do think I will go for the self blue, I get better Coloradans as far as selling and processing.how funny, voice text in footed Coloradans instead of color options.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by