A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Awww...Pebbles! How cool are turkeys? Daisy is possessive like that. Wedges between me and any other bird!

2. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    I sent that turkey video to several family members. ..just to annoy them. They don't get the turkey thing.

3 people like this.
  3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

That sounds so much like something I would do! I am so proud of you,

1 person likes this.
  4. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    They call my turkeys ugly or prehistoric. They just shake their heads when I try to tell them what great pets they are. Soooo....anything I can do to annoy them....:lol:

5. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

I Get that. My mom was over the one day and Eve hopped up on my on lap and I was saying how she's such a sweet and pretty girl. And my mom gave me the craziest look and said um, ok, if you say so. Their inner beauty makes them so much more beautiful to the people that get them :)

1 person likes this.
  6. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Thats it!! Bella is perfect!! That is her name Bella!! Thanks all for the help!!

1 person likes this.
  7. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    I had a tri-color Aussie named Bella, it is perfect for her Holm!

Ralph, I also hate the winter. I don't mind it if all I have to do is hibernate, but I don't get to hibernate much anymore. Kids. They ruin everything... [​IMG]

Aurora- I think it is so cute that you have a protective hen!

As for Banshee... female. She squatted yesterday while I was petting her. At first, I thought it was a "melting into the ground because I am such a happy turkey" move. Nope. Wings out, tail up.
    I'm headed your way after Thanksgiving, R2Elk!

On the sick chicken, I think I figured it out. She literally just laid her first egg the second day in the hospital. At first I thought something to do with her laying cycle. There is something called Post Egg Paralysis.
    BUT, today, I went to say hello to the rest of the birds and I noticed something. A bit of a shell from a hard boiled egg... with a "D" written in sharpie on it.
    I knew she was getting to laying age (as Cricket should have been too) and the rest of the hens were in molt and not laying. So I put in Decoy eggs. 3 decoy eggs to be exact.
    Today, after seeing the shell, I realized I hadn't been noticing the decoy eggs. I could only find one this morning.
    I think the dumb bird ate some OLD hard boiled egg. She probably has a toxin from it.
    Hopefully it passes and she can resume her happy life with her BFF the rooster.
    Oh, and she laid a soft egg yesterday, making me think she may need more calcium than the layer ration has. And, she ate an egg. None of my hens do that. So, I put in some oyster shell for her, I am boosting her vitamins.

I opened up her soft egg, just to be sure the yolk was there (to rule out egg yolk periontitis, or whatever it is). Guess who has a fertilized egg?! I do! Guess who is going to be hatching barnyard mixes in the spring? I am!!

Enough chicken talk. Here is the pic of the birds my neighbor got from her window yesterday.
    [​IMG]

I think the turkeys flew up to scope the deer, then went to say hello! The deer were back this morning, guess who was there to say hello to them?
    I love turkeys.

1 person likes this.
  8. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    That is so cool MM

Turkeys and fresh venison in the same picture!

1 person likes this.
  9. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Holm - I'm glad that Bella has a name now! You said she was sweet and she is a pretty girl - Bella suits her :)

MM - The Banshee mystery is solved! And now you have the perfect reason to get another turkey....you need a boy :lol: Why does everyone else have an abundance of hens?? It's not fair.....I have too many boys and no one lives close enough for me to share :barnie The picture of the deer with the turkeys is so neat....I have to show that to my DH after work, he'll love it.

Memphis - I'm glad I'm not the only one - my friends and family don't understand the turkey thing either..... I send lots of pictures so that they can see how cute my babies are :rolleyes:

My turkeys have decided that they should get treats and attention as soon as we walk into the barn after work. If you head toward the chicken area first they kick up a huge ruckus of gobbles and flapping, and they maintain the noise level until we go see them. If I stop there first, it's perfectly quiet when I go to visit the chickens. Demanding hooligans!!

10. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Banshee is a she!! MORE TURKEYS FOR MM!!!

Feisty....if I ignore my turkeys its all over but the screaming!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by