A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I am glad Banshee is a she too!

It means she gets to live on the deck for 8-10 more years!

This is one of JJ and Ethel's kids. Tell me what you think she is. I do not think she is a rusty slate. She is redder than JJ and Ethel. the pictures do not show that great. And she does not have any of the blue/black spot JJ and Ethel have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    And now to make some of you happy. Pictures of a Perfect Belly Button:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Maybe red slate? Just a guess

4. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Ralph - I think she may be a blue red bronze. I looked at the hen picture on porter's and her feather colors and tail stripes look pretty similar. I checked and it is one of the many possibilities that Ethel and JJ could make :)

5. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Ralphie she's a beautiful hen. I agree with Fiesty. But I'm wondering about penguin. That looks like barring on his wings.

6. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    I agree with blue red slate. She is sure a beautiful hen!
    I also agree that Penguin is not a black. As a chick, he looked like a black, but that face mask is just evident in chicks that have the black gene.
    The barring on his wings would suggest something else...

So, what do y'all think. I have a chocolate, a blue slate or "splash", hen... should I get a "splash" tom or a self blue tom?! R2Elk has generously offered me one of his extra toms!
    I am thinking (with help from the calculator) that I will go with the self blue. Thoughts?
    Really though, most of the babies will be for food. My DH is BARELY letting me have 3 turkeys for keeps...
    I don't get why though. We have enough land.. they just like his deck.

It is a frigid day here in the mountains of Northern Colorado. We stacked another cord of wood. I doubt we have enough. I think we need a third.
    BUT, hubs took the day off for the wood staking extravaganza (really it took an hour... ) and we have been drinking white Russians since 2:00. Perfect day.
    We will be eating venison tenderloin with butternut squash from the garden for dinner. Delish!

NO Ralph, not the fresh venison pictured in the photo above.

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Why the self blue over the blue?

I posted Penguins picture because he was standing still, That rarely happens. I was hoping you could see the "barring and marks he has.

It really does not matter because he is most likely going to end up inside of an oven.

I was thinking red slate on that one, but they all look so much alike. I do not think she is the same as JJ and Ethel. even though we call her Ethel Junior, but that is because of her size and face. She has Ethel's eye's and nose. The profile is the same too.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  8. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

He's only letting you keep 3?! I couldn't narrow it down to 3 if I had to :( (and I unfortunately only have 1.3 acres lol)

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    When we got Ethel, and JJ they came with a third who died Myrtle. I was told then that was all the birds I was allowed...Those numbers can be more flexible than a spouse figures they are.

10. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    We ha
    We have 2+ acres...
    We only have one acre fenced in and since the fox lives in the back acre, it is off limits to poultry.
    Hence the turkeys love the deck so much.....

We really have a lot of space for the farm I want.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by