A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

That is not my moose. That is my brothers. I do not have moose here, he has them where he lives. He has a couple that hang around his house, eat his hay, cabbage if he does not get them out soon enough and beg for food. They only do this in the winter in the spring they will leave and not come back until the next winter.

2. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    I've never been successful. But I was a crazy person while I was trying!

Ralph, we have some of that nasty white stuff too. And we had the wind with it. Yuck.
    Your moose friend looks happy to have a snack.

The turkeys took off this morning after they got up. Went to the neighbors to sit in the tippy top of their pine tree. I suspect they were spying on the deer in our yard. This is the picture she sent after they flew down

Arg. I can't make it work on my phone. I'll post the pic later.

3. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    So the hen is seemingly worse again. I posted on the emergency thread, but no advice.
    I would hate to cull her, but can't have a chicken that is unable to walk. Her crop was empty this afternoon when I checked her... Because she couldn't move one foot to the food.[​IMG]

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

that is horrible,

I wonder what it is. Can you bring food to it for a few days? Might not help, but might give it a chance.

5. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

Aw, poor girl :( have you considered Lyme disease? Doesn't that mess with the nervous system?

6. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    MM - sorry about your hen....it's hard to watch them have difficulty like that and not know what might help :hugs

Ralph - very cool moose picture, very cold snow picture - I don't envy you having snow and I hope that we don't get any this year. I need to locate some of my winter clothes this weekend, I'm flying north to visit family for a few days next week and it looks cold and snowy there (eww). It will probably make me appreciate my rain when I get home :)

I don't have an incubator yet - I'm kind of afraid what might start if I get one.....it appears that hatching might be habit forming. I'm supposed to get my new bourbon hen next week, and she's about the same age as Turkules - I hope she has a nice personality!

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I am freezing!

I had a few turkeys escape on me from the guinea gulag when I was trying to get them to go into the turkey house...

I think I need more roosts in the house. I have 32 linear feet of roosts, Apparently that is not enough room for them all. JJ insists on having a 8 ft roost to himself. Penguin tries to hog one whole one. but will et one or two others with him.

Ginger is dumber than Penguin and falls off the roosts a lot. He would rather roost on the feeder than the roosts.

It was a cold confusing day. I have frozen waterers already. I hate winter.

8. memphis

memphis Chicken Obsessed

Aug 6, 2012
    Hate that your freezing Ralph. It supossed to dip into the 30's her Saturday night. Eeekkks!

JJ deserves his roosting space! I'm feeling sorry for Ginger!

Ya'all need to go watch the "Sweet Turkey Video " new2pfowl posted. It's great!!

9. memphis

memphis Chicken Obsessed

Aug 6, 2012
    MM....how is your hen? Any thoughts as too what's going on? Don't forge to post the turkeys in the pines pictures!

Turkules is getting another girlfriend! :weee. Can't wait to see the pictures. :D

10. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Silly Pebbles. She has decided that Adam is unworthy of my snuggles and affections. Even though she gets plenty of cuddles to herself, she's now wiggling her way in between me and Adam if I try to cuddle him so she can be hugged and cuddled instead lol. I'm going to have to attempt to do a hidden camera thing to catch her doing it. It's so sweet :) I know I'd never be able to pull it off with anyone else in there with me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by