A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

i'll have to wait till spring before i can order the saddles as I have 13 poults that are 3 months old, the only adult turkeys I have are 2 Narragansett Hens, but i'm looking for a new home for them.

And as for the pictures, i'll have to try to get pictures of the poults when my brother is out there watching, my brother favors the white poult in the group, (it was supposedly Silver Dapple hen, but its feathering out white, and i did check the colors they produce when breeding pure and white was one of those colors, the other one is a Tom, and he is feathering out coal black with the dappling all over his back, and wings)

i'll have to wait till spring before i can order the saddles as I have 13 poults that are 3 months old, the only adult turkeys I have are 2 Narragansett Hens, but i'm looking for a new home for them.

And as for the pictures, i'll have to try to get pictures of the poults when my brother is out there watching, my brother favors the white poult in the group, (it was supposedly Silver Dapple hen, but its feathering out white, and i did check the colors they produce when breeding pure and white was one of those colors, the other one is a Tom, and he is feathering out coal black with the dappling all over his back, and wings)

Sounds like the white one is a royal palm and the black a mottled black :)

i ordered the poults from Porters, and they were labeled as Silver Dapple, i saw the pictures of the adults, and they look similar, but all i have ever raised was BBB, BBW, standard bronze, Narragansett, and Golden Narragansett, so i have little experience in knowing what would be considered Silver Dapple, or Mottled blacks (the only one i am 100% sure on its colors are the Narragansett poults, Bronze poults, and the Rusty Black), still learning the patterns on Harvest gold Red Bronze, and the Silver Dapple (i had a Silver Auburn poult but I lost it due to a storm that managed to soak their brooder while I was away overnight)

I was hoping to eventually get Blue Slates, to see what I can do, I also like the Bourbon reds colors too (i like to mix/match colors in my flock to see what comes out)...

There was a cross I did with my chickens long ago, it was a cross between a white bantam Cochin rooster to a white Ameracauna hen (this was 10 years ago, i have none of the decendents anymore), the result was a blue hen with feathered legs (could scream lound, and it sounded like a child screaming), and was better than an incubator, during the 3 years I had that hen she hatched 3 - 4 broods of 10 - 20 chicks every summer (she even stayed broody all through fall, and winter if I let her), I do plan on getting more Cochins, and Ameracaunas to start that line again, and mabe that would help me have better hatches when incubating turkey eggs

On Tuesday evening I heard something on the roof and looked out the window just in time to see a turkey hen land in the driveway. She seemed pretty agitated and quickly flew into the fenced in area. I went out and could hear her calling as she ran through the area. Wednesday it became apparent why she was calling as I found her at the neighbor's separated from her buddies by a fence.
full

full

full

Last night they decided that they should be overnight guests.
full

full

full

full

full

full
At least one is a jake as he was gobbling this morning. One of them landed in the old dog pen this morning and immediately went stupid and became a fence runner. I caught him since it seemed to be the easiest way to get him out of there. From his reaction and the reactions of the others, I believe that these are someone's domestic Bronze. If they don't start keeping them home, they are going to lose the toms for sure.

i had that issue a few years ago with a few 3 month old bronze poults, they wandered off (originally 6, only managed to catch 3 of them), the 3 i managed to catch and bring back home were killed by raccoons 2 months later, and the other 3 ended up growing up wild (they matured into 2 hens, and a Tom), i know they are still alive since they show up every spring, and fall (during the turkey seasons since they learned my farm is a safe zone), and they appear to be half wild as they don't run until I start walking towards them... I did learn my lesson in not letting young turkeys roam without someone watching them until they are 6 - 9 months old or older, but it also seemed like the hens stayed closer to home than my Toms did

Back
Top Bottom