A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

@R2elk the feathers are gorgeous! It's so hard to get the picture just right to capture the colors. I think it took me numerous attempts to get those couple pictures of Pebbles. I really should try to get some new ones now that I have a decent camera. The flash really helped, it was just getting the right angle for the picture :)

I love the structural colors of feathers. I just think it’s soooo cool. Color that isn’t integral to the feather’s pigments, but to its translucent angles and planes and the light that’s happening at the moment. It doesn’t get much cooler than that, imo.

Does this make me a nerd? :oops:

No, it makes you awesome lol. I love it too. The way I see it, these glowing girls are the closest any of us can get to actually having an ocolated turkey lol

I read half of the thread, and thought that was enough. Then I moved to the end of the thread, and there was no mention of Annie. So I skimmed a bit, but I went back to the middle of the thread. I've been looking for days to find the post about what happened. I'm so sorry, @memphis.

This is a very long thread to read the whole way through. I'm impressed you even read half! We've had some very difficult losses over the years in here. Memphis's Annie and my Cuddles were big ones. Both just died suddenly and unexpectedly. It's hard, but we move on. Everyone here is so helpful with that :)

No, it makes you awesome lol. I love it too. The way I see it, these glowing girls are the closest any of us can get to actually having an ocolated turkey lol

This is a very long thread to read the whole way through. I'm impressed you even read half! We've had some very difficult losses over the years in here. Memphis's Annie and my Cuddles were big ones. Both just died suddenly and unexpectedly. It's hard, but we move on. Everyone here is so helpful with that :)
Yes, it was so sad to read about Cuddles, too. My condolences.

It's past my bedtime, but I am up to the stage where @memphis has two poults which seem at risk of requiring geriatric care long before she ever supplies a photo of them. I'm just going to assume they are mythical unicorn poults until tomorrow.

The shiny feathers have me fascinated. DD has just come home from an internship in California. There were wild turkeys on the campus she worked at, which she used to watch. One seemed much shinier than the others, although they appeared to be of different ages, and she wondered whether that played a part.

I agree with @CindyinSD that structural colour is intriguing. Some species are believed to see flashes of it over great distances, using it to locate mates. That iridescent colour-change paint they use on some cars now may be calling the wild things in!

here is a video I made a while ago before I rehomed Ablyn attempting to examine his shimmer. We couldn't eat him because he's a big loveable goof so someone actually bought him as a pet turkey as yard eye candy. He was so hard on the girls! Esther was pretty heartbroken but glad we didn't eat him. I just couldn't bring myself to do it after he came up for hugs so often.

Back
Top Bottom