A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

R2elk....that hen in the nest box has the sweetest face. Is she broody or laying?
She is just laying. I was glad to see that she figured out that she now has a double box to spread out into instead of trying to cram herself into a single nest box.

She is my youngest hen and yes, she has a beard!

Check out the splashy color on this blue poult
IMG_20200420_121045449.jpg

Who's the parents?
Well, dad is tri colored mottled blue. I'm guessing mom is the tri colored black? No other blue turkeys so he's only got one blue genes. Hens are : tri colored mottled black, 2 sweetgrass, 1 burbon red, 1 royal palm, 1 red bronze ( royal palm is her mom, burbon daddy).
The tri colors are both half sweetgrass.

Well, dad is tri colored mottled blue. I'm guessing mom is the tri colored black? No other blue turkeys so he's only got one blue genes. Hens are : tri colored mottled black, 2 sweetgrass, 1 bourbon red, 1 royal palm, 1 red bronze ( royal palm is her mom, bourbon daddy).
The tri colors are both half sweetgrass.
Slate (D) is a dominant color and only needs the presence of one gene for it to show up. Your Tri-Color Mottled Slate is (Bb1 Ccg Dd). Your Tri-Color Mottled Black is (Bb1 Ccg dd).

Slate is the gene referred to as blue. cg is referred to as the gray gene. The grayish color can come from either or a combination of both. cg is recessive and does need both genes to be properly displayed.

Back
Top Bottom