A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

@Mimi13 I usually keep a tom that I hatch in January or February (March at the latest) to process for Thanksgiving. They end up dressing out around 15 lbs.

I rarely have poults longer than a couple weeks when I sell them. People love turkeys around here lol. Besides, I love spreading the addiction. I was able to find pet homes for 2 and 3 year old toms last fall (Mister and Phil) when the boys showed off and sucked up all the attention at the swap :)

@Mimi13 I usually keep a tom that I hatch in January or February (March at the latest) to process for Thanksgiving. They end up dressing out around 15 lbs.

I rarely have poults longer than a couple weeks when I sell them. People love turkeys around here lol. Besides, I love spreading the addiction. I was able to find pet homes for 2 and 3 year old toms last fall (Mister and Phil) when the boys showed off and sucked up all the attention at the swap :)
That is so neat and still gives me hope. But I have to remember how unlucky I was with cockerels. Good lord. Don’t know that I want a Tom bad enough to go through all I did.

Oh, and I watched this documentary yesterday.
My Life As A Turkey It was very interesting, funny and sad. And @R2elk, the ending gave me insight into what you had mentioned earlier in this thread. 😬 No spoilers here! I’m sure everyone on the turkey thread has seen it, but for those who might not have seen it, it is well worth the 50 something minutes of time. It passed too quickly. I wanted more.

That is so neat and still gives me hope. But I have to remember how unlucky I was with cockerels. Good lord. Don’t know that I want a Tom bad enough to go through all I did.

Oh, and I watched this documentary yesterday.
My Life As A Turkey It was very interesting, funny and sad. And @R2elk, the ending gave me insight into what you had mentioned earlier in this thread. 😬 No spoilers here! I’m sure everyone on the turkey thread has seen it, but for those who might not have seen it, it is well worth the 50 something minutes of time. It passed too quickly. I wanted more.
If it is the one that was made by the guy from Florida, I believe his illegal activities during it is why he left Florida and moved to Wyoming where he started messing with deer. He made a bunch of posts about what he was doing with the deer and claimed he was doing it with the knowledge and support of the G&F.

If it is the one that was made by the guy from Florida, I believe his illegal activities during it is why he left Florida and moved to Wyoming where he started messing with deer. He made a bunch of posts about what he was doing with the deer and claimed he was doing it with the knowledge and support of the G&F.
Wowzer! That’s disheartening. It was a very entertaining and enlightening story.

I’m amazed people will drive that far.
I had a rancher drive 6 hours to come get a pair of breeding toms for his flock of 75 turkeys. He uses them to assist his hayfields, bug picking, fertilizing, little ariation of soil.. he made portable turkey housing out of old steel livestock haulers and rotated them across his fields, then harvested the offspring. Drive all the way from middle of south Dakota to south central Montana.

I had a rancher drive 6 hours to come get a pair of breeding toms for his flock of 75 turkeys. He uses them to assist his hayfields, bug picking, fertilizing, little ariation of soil.. he made portable turkey housing out of old steel livestock haulers and rotated them across his fields, then harvested the offspring. Drive all the way from middle of south Dakota to south central Montana.
I had someone drive all the way from Central Montana to Minnesota to pick up some birds once.. :lau :lau :lau :lau

Back
Top Bottom