A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Thanks for that little bit of very important information! Bummer, bummer, bah-hum-bug!!!

Too bad I don’t know of anyone around here who’d like about a dozen turkeys! Dang it!
That is because you haven't checked around.

I never have any trouble selling the excess from an order of 15 poults. On occasion I have split an order of poults with others but I usually wait for the poults to show up and advertise them on craigslist.

That is because you haven't checked around.

I never have any trouble selling the excess from an order of 15 poults. On occasion I have split an order of poults with others but I usually wait for the poults to show up and advertise them on craigslist.
That is excellent advice, but I don’t seem to be much of a salesman. I just don’t have that gift of gab that seems a prerequisite.

Driving around I have never seen any turkeys, except the wild ones everywhere, even on my land. Same for ducks. I’ve only seen one house with ducks.

Also, if I was wanting heritage, (they take a longer grow out time, right?) I would have to get them sometime in May to allow sufficient growing time, right?

That is excellent advice, but I don’t seem to be much of a salesman. I just don’t have that gift of gab that seems a prerequisite.

Driving around I have never seen any turkeys, except the wild ones everywhere, even on my land. Same for ducks. I’ve only seen one house with ducks.

Also, if I was wanting heritage, (they take a longer grow out time, right?) I would have to get them sometime in May to allow sufficient growing time, right?
When would you eat the sweet lovely birds?

No salesmanship needed. Poults sell themselves. I can't stand people and I have no trouble selling poults.

Most people driving by will not see my poultry. Your eyes are supposed to be on the road when driving, not gawking at what people do or don't have.

If you want them as pets, who cares what time of year you get them. If you want to eat them, they will be mature and delicious the next year.

I don’t plan on eating mine unless they become jerks. I have found that jerks are seasoned so much better.

I figured most people would purchase turkeys to harvest at Thanksgiving.
Actually, R2elk is right, when you figure feed costs and work you’re much better off selling them as babies.

or as breeding pairs in the next spring.

I don’t plan on eating mine unless they become jerks. I have found that jerks are seasoned so much better.

I figured most people would purchase turkeys to harvest at Thanksgiving.
I very rarely sell any turkeys as food. Most people want an already processed bird if they want it for food. I sell live birds.

I very rarely sell any turkeys as food. Most people want an already processed bird if they want it for food. I sell live birds.
I wish I could sell dead birds.,

Have a list and just call the names and tell them, “I got a dead bird for you”.

Most people driving by will not see my poultry. Your eyes are supposed to be on the road when driving, not gawking at what people do or don't have.
I guess no one actually sees my birds from the road either, as my whole poultry get up is located behind my house and we are about two football fields off the road. Except maybe the ducks. People might could see the ducks as they tend to waddle around together and further away from the house than the chickens do.

When I was looking to build my coop, I’ll have to admit, my eyes were not always on the road. But around here there are more harvesters, tractors, etc. on the road than in a lot of places, so speeds are mostly kept at a minimum. (Except for the morons on meth and Mt. Dew.) Back to the story now. I guess I was gawking at what others had, but not in the way you might think. I was constantly on the search for old tin and barn wood. My favs! I also looked for all kinds of old buildings/sheds that I might want to model my coop after. Yep, I had no plans, just a vision in my head. (Must have been from all those mushrooms I ate that Ralphie recommended!) 🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom