A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I have been selling 2 poults for 25. Most people looking say they are too far away. Around me not many can have turkeys because they need 10 acres zone ag to legally have turkey or roosters unless they are in 4H. The rules are only inforced by complaints so ......
I had one guy travel all the way from Spokane last year to pick up 30 jakes because he miscalculated on his heritage turkey boxes for thanksgiving last year. Before that, I had a gentleman drive from central South Dakota to pick up a replacement breeder tom. There aren't very many people who grow heritage turkeys so if they are interested in adult birds, they are willing to do a little travelling to get them.

Should have a few of my broody hens hatching eggs this weekend. Mother's Day is hatch day. Looks like weather is finally going to get warmer just in time but it's still so wet and raining. Usually remove poults as they hatch and put in brooder, so weather doesn't really matter anyways. But I do have 2 broody hens penned indoors sitting on nests with 23 eggs that I will let them raise their poults together. (hopefully) They seem to be doing well together they have their nests facing each other with heads together and no trying to steel eggs from each other, or any fighting at all so I believe they will be fine raising poults together. Their hatch date won't be for another week Sunday the 15th. Should be done with all hatching by end of May.

Stupid fox came back to be the bane of my existance. discovered a nesting hen in the irrigation ditch and ate the top half of her, and maybe half her nest too. Came back later on and ate some of my growout cockerels. That's it, I patched up the holes big enough for my dogs to slip through on the backyard, and now my dogs are going to spend their nights outside. Apollo actually LOVED it. He is embracing his mastiff heritage and going full watchdog. Zeus is happy to have a friend that isn't a goat at night. Zeus isn't big enough to leave loose alone at night. He just got to 4 months old. He is now about 40 lbs, but the fox did not care about him being in the pen right next to the growout, so out the dogs go. The fox will very much care about Apollo, he is a fully grown English Mastiff/St Bernard cross, and that boy can cruise. He is built like a thick greyhound, and he can burst to keep up with my 4 wheeler. No foxes about this morning.
Biggest concern is that if Apollo really wanted to chase something, a fence won't stop him. Once Zeus grows up, he will be even bigger and more predator sensitive than Apollo, and Pyrenees are not stopped by fences if they want to go somewhere, unless you got electricity and coyote rollers and solid fence... too expensive for me!

Back
Top Bottom