A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Memphis, that poor jogger! People do not seem to understand Turkeys are social and love people. The faster you run the faster they run.

My Uncle tells a story of when he was a teen. He worked at a turkey farm in the 40's. that free ranged 8000 turkeys every year. They would sheperd them much like we think of sheep being shepherded. He had a friend stop to see him and the turkeys all ran towards him as he came across the pasture. The turkeys were racing to be the first one there. The guy turned and ran and the turkeys chased him.

My uncle said he yelled at the guy to stop running and stand still. He refused, said he did not want to be trampled to death by turkeys. He jumped in his car and the turkeys surrounded the car and covered it until my uncle could safe him.

He said it was the funniest thing he had ever seen. The guy failed to see any humor in it at all.

OMG Ralph! That's a great story! I can't even imagine that many turkeys chasing me!

I had my back to the jogger. Didn't hear her coming. Daisy just took off flapping. I was irritated she wouldn't stop for me to catch Daisy. Crocks are hard to run in!! Then to turn around to see the whole molting, feather flying flock of chickens with Annie leading the way following us. Thank God a car wasn't coming. That was it...keeping them in back.

Hey did you guys read Holm's article "Caring for a Broody "? Cute pictures too. He's a pretty cool kid!

Ralph. ..did you make it to Iowa? Hoping you can beat the snow home! Bet you can't wait to see your flock!

I have tears on my face as I picture a molting flock chasing down some random jogger :gig Every single one of my turkeys thinks that it's a game of chase if you run. If you stop running then it's no fun anymore and they go find a new thing to check out - they love the turkey trot and I encourage them because it's so funny to see their goofy gallop. I hadn't really thought through the repercussions of "other people" jogging past the house :lau

I tried to sneak the ladies out front before folks started getting home from work. Just can't have them running after joggers & car jacking vehicles. And my Daisy. ..of all birds! What was she thinking? It's Annie I usually have to keep an eye on.

Ralph. ..you getting home today??

LOL turkeys are hilarious
lol.png

I'm gonna sell my bourbon red cause she isn't really one I want to breed, and right now I'm only keeping my breeder birds (plus a few pets I guess). Plus "she" may actually be a "he"
hmm.png
, and has been a little too aggressive with the chickens and ducks for a while which I put up with until now. Also the other turkeys I got from that seller had beak defects which I don't want to breed more of.

So now I gotta find a friend for my Royal Palm.

Sounds like a good plan Lozuufy. Hope you can fine the Palm quickly.

Anybody hear from Mountain Mom lately? I don't think we've heard from her since she got back from Texas. Hope all is well.

I'm still here. It's been a busy day though between chores, baking cookies, and fixing the kitchen floor, I really haven't been able to get on here. Net everyone else is busy preparing for the season.

Yep tis the season. Got home about 10 minutes before turkey bedtime. Just enough time to run & flap a few times around the yard. The girls sure love playing chase & being silly. My poor chickens just turn up their beaks at such unruly behavior!

Aurora. ..did you say you have something in the incubator? What does fixing the kitchen floor mean??

Back
Top Bottom