A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Yep. I have about 20 eggs in the bator right now. Marans, ameraucanas, and mixes. I have some eggs shipping in this week also, Cochins and silkies (surprise for hubby and kids). Last year when I started up the bator(jan), I didn't stop it until July-ish lol. I'm going to need a bigger one soon though. Lots more breeds this year lol.

By fixing the kitchen floor, I mean literally fixing the floor. Our water softener tank thing had been condensating over the summer months and the people who lived here before us didn't have a tray under it or anything. It ended up making a section of the floor soft. Well, our washer and dryer finally died and being in that same spot, we pulled everything out and fixed that section of the floor. Had to get it done before the new washer and dryer show up on Monday. Oh what fun :/ it'll be nice to finally have it done though. Right now, the old washer and dryer are sitting in the middle of my kitchen (till tomorrow) and the water softener is shoved into a small bathroom lol. But it'll be back to normal before Christmas at least.

Edited to fix weird auto corrects

Last edited:
Aurora - sounds busy! Nice to get the floor done and washer/dryer out of the way before the holidays :) Baby chicks sound so darn fun - and I know that I'd be in trouble if I had an incubator!

Memphis - I'm envious of your turkey time...it's totally dark here when I get home and the turkeys have finally got into the habit of going in and roosting at dark (I'd better not mess with the desirable trend because I want birds to play with.....)

It's been silly busy here. Had some health issues in the family recently, and those have meant travel since none of my family lives near me. Crossing my fingers that no more emergency trips pop up. Going away for a month in January, so I REALLY need to get caught up here before then :p First "fun" trip since I moved to the US three years ago....can't wait! Started my darn Christmas shopping today, so am officially in panic mode because I'm getting a very late start this year lol.

I have a chicken hen that has recently decided that she is broody - she's not quite 8 months old and it's December.....what the heck is she thinking??? I've been trying without success to convince her that she's not broody - it's been over a week now - any ideas? I may have to give in and let her have a very small batch of eggs if I can't convince her to give it up. As a new-to-poultry person, I had no idea that broodies plucked their undercarriage until I picked her up tonight and found a mostly-bald underbelly :eek: Of course I freaked out, ran inside and consulted BYC and from what I see this is normal. I'm pretty sure that DH is still snickering. I am busily reading up on how to discourage broodiness, but she is pretty determined and being such a sweetie about it. I hadn't planned to expand poultry accommodations between now and Jan 9..... but maybe we can fit this into the holiday schedule? I'm pretty sure the turkeys would be okay with expansion on their side of the barn too if I'm going to start building :)

Fiesty, you just NOW started Christmas shopping?! Oh my goodness! And my husband thought that I was bad getting started on black Friday every year! I'm actualy way ahead this year. I'm competition done with the kids and everything is wrapped and labeled. For me that's HUGE seeing as how most years, I'm sitting up, wrapping presents every night for a week before Christmas even gets here lol. We just have a couple of gift cards to pick up yet and we're done.

As for your broody, I'd just give her a couple eggs to try to hatch out. I have a newbie who steamed to go broody the other day but doesn't know what's she's doing. She won't keep her butt on the nest at night but she's still nipping at me trying to sit during the day. I stole her eggs and the them in the bator.if she still wants to be a mom when I have babies, I'll give her some then.

Ohhh....broodies & babies! Ya'll I'm jealous! Fiesty, I've always had mixed results trying to break a broody. Tried all the tricks. Some seem to break easily and then some are just plain determined. I can usually break my Speckled Sussex by just tossing them off the nest repeatedly for about a week. I've never been able to break any of the Barnevelders. And I'm batting 500 with the Australorps. Luckily they have all been sweet. They just fluff up & turn into pancakes. No bitting. When it's 106 here in the summer is when I worry about them. The heat is tough & I'm always afraid I'll find a roasted bird in a box!

I finished shopping early this year! Totally impressed with myself! :D. Still need to finish wrapping. I do need to get a few cards out tho.....

Fiesty, I can work from home. So I've been trying to get home around 3:00 just for some turkey time. Don't always make it. Can't wait for longer days!

Aurora, what's the date of your hatch? Please post pictures! I want babies so bad! I'll have to travel for work in January but will probably get a few chicks to brood in February. Any body live near Salt Lake City? I'll be out there a lot in January. I had a project in Miami back in July. What's wrong with this picture? I'm just not living right!

We are home...

The snow held off until after we got home.

We are drinking coffee and waiting to go get our dogs. When it gets light I will let the birds out. The turkeys have been bad when I was gone, I can tell. Most likely lead by Penguin. They were all outside last night, NOT one was in the turkey house when I got home. They are locked in a covered run (Guinea Gulag) but could not be bothered to walk the 4 feet into the turkey house!

I have not looked into any of the other birds yet.

Back
Top Bottom