A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Good to know. The farm I got them from had splash tom. Splash hens and a self blue hen. But they hatched a lot of blacks. Just assumed was a black slate. I looked at porters website. When he is not all torn up by fence fighting. He closely resembles a silver dappled. That is on there. But I decided not fond of black turkeys so he's probably going to be a guest at dinner.

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    [​IMG]

So this is not a black slate turkey as he has white on both wing tips, just like some of my guineas have.....Hmmmm

I think it is evil spawn of the Chickadee from Hades!

3. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    It may or may not be a black slate. Adult black slates do not have any white on them. This is not true of the poults as you can see it definitely has white on its face and belly. Blue slates do not have white on them as adults but as poults the first wing feathers on a blue slate poult looks like the tips are white.

It could just be the quality of the photo but a closer look at the image looks like there is a reddish tinge which could also be explained if the photo was taken under a red heat lamp. If the reddish tinge is for real then it is definitely not a black slate.

4. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Slates have white wingtips & faces at hatch. It will feather in all dark later. I'm not seeing any other colors on this poult to indicate a mix, but adult feathers may tell a different story. I'll stick with my prediction of black slate. I've hatched a lot of them the last several years since blue slates were my first turkeys...and I still raise them. [​IMG]

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I am just amazed I have this bird. UNLESS it is a baby from JJ and Ethel and not the blue. There is no way a lavender/self blue can give me this baby. I know, thinking back we picked up a few eggs we found laying around the yard after Ethel lost her nest. It could be one of them. In which case it is special as JJ and Ethel look like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or maybe Ethel did it with a wild turkey. I know she goes out where they are, and I have seen them sneaking towards the building site. Maybe Ethel took lessons in being a hussy from the white rock??? I might need a Mike's to mull this all over...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  6. SilkieSensation

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    If JJ & Ethyl are rusty slates instead of lilac, then they will throw black babies. They could also throw blue, lavender & maybe red.

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Will the baby be as cool as Ethel and JJ are?

That's what really counts.

8. SilkieSensation

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    If you mean personality wise, of course. Handle them a lot & they may become lap turkeys. [​IMG] Colorwise, obviously not the same but definitely just as beautiful. [​IMG]

9. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Ralph I think your mystery turkey looks like a chocolate. But, I have very limited turkey experience. I just think it looks exactly like Tomahawk.
    I have no idea if that is a possibility from the turkeys you have though.

Ethel a hussy?! I think not. She is a proper lady. Or maybe she and JJ have an agreement...

Also, I don't know how it is possible for turkeys to not be cool. Well, I guess I do know. I was terrified of them for a long time because my aunt had a very mean tom that ran around. I suppose hand raising them is the difference.
    I just love that my 3 poults come to hang out with us wherever we are. The weather has been warm so the windows are open and they can hear us talking inside... they run to the deck and call for us, very confused.

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

JJ does that too, when the windows are open he walks around and around the house trying to figure out how to get to where we are. He calls us so we answer him, but the DW has not allowed me to let him in, yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by