A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I lost one today, very unexpected!

We had taken one out of the "kindergarten" class and moved it back to pre-school in our living room, we picked a friend for it to keep it company. The one we wanted upstairs kept flipping over on it's back and looking dead.  Both my Dw and myself picked her up several times think she was dead only to have her protest. We started cuddling her whenever she played dead. Now she is doing fine and almost ready to go back down to kindergarten.

BUT when I checked on the kindergarteners I found one that was really dead and not playing.  I thought they were all healthy and doing well. The one that died was about 10 days old.

You can never tell with chicks or Poults, when they want to die, they just do.

BTW there is a possibility the one that played dead was doing this just to get cuddled, she appears to really like it, When we hold her she closes her eyes and nods off in our hands.

Sorry you lost one.

Sometimes I think your right. Those flipover poults do it for the loving attention they get.

Crafty litte buggers when they want to be.

The straggler made it out.

It won't happen again. But all eggs that went to lockdown hatched.

That's amazing. I am lucky to do 50% this year. I have about 2 dozen guinea eggs in the hatcher right now yesterday was day 25 so they should be hatching. I will be lucky to get 3 chicks from those eggs. My guineas have been doing really poorly on the hatching, and of course, they are what I wanted most and had the most of. I have plenty of turkeys, in fact I have no idea what I am going to do with as many as I have.

Ethel has not been here in several days, I do not know when she will hatch her eggs, or even if she is alive anymore. I have a bad feeling she is dead. I normally see her every couple days when she is setting. There has been no sign. However, the other turkey hen that is setting does not seem to ever move off her nest either. I have not seen her move in longer than I have not seen Ethel. I am tempted to go check her pulse and see if she is still alive.
(she is setting inside a covered pen) Ethel is only God knows where.

That's amazing.  I am lucky to do 50% this year. I have about 2 dozen guinea eggs in the hatcher right now yesterday was day 25 so they should be hatching. I will be lucky to get 3 chicks from those eggs. My guineas have been doing really poorly on the hatching, and of course, they are what I wanted most and had the most of.    I have plenty of turkeys, in fact I have no idea what I am going to do with as many as I have.

Ethel has not been here in several days, I do not know when she will hatch her eggs, or even if she is alive anymore.  I have a bad feeling she is dead. I normally see her every couple days when she is setting. There has been no sign.  However, the other turkey hen that is setting does not seem to ever move off her nest either. I have not seen her move in longer than I have not seen Ethel.  I am tempted to go check her pulse and see if she is still alive.
(she is setting inside a covered pen) Ethel is only God knows where.

My hatch rate was less than 50 til this batch.

Good luck with the guineas. I couldn't find any guinea eggs to hstch so I bought 10 babies sat. Swap meet. Never had any so don't know if ill like them or not yet.

I'm sure ethel will show up soon.

Have you tried letting jj loose maybe he could lead you to ethel.

That's amazing. I am lucky to do 50% this year. I have about 2 dozen guinea eggs in the hatcher right now yesterday was day 25 so they should be hatching. I will be lucky to get 3 chicks from those eggs. My guineas have been doing really poorly on the hatching, and of course, they are what I wanted most and had the most of. I have plenty of turkeys, in fact I have no idea what I am going to do with as many as I have.
Sorry about your poor hatching.

I just had a broody chicken hen hatch 10 of 10 guinea eggs yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom