A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

JJ is always loose. He never leaves the yard, I am lucky if he leaves the doorstep. He is the biggest pest/pet known to man. In the morning he waits for a "hug" and pet. Besides if he went looking for Ethel, those pesky roosters might take over and he would not like that!

2. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Grats on the hatch.

I am glad to hear that you did so well, I have a broody BA on guinea eggs now she should hatch them this weekend. I was in FL when she went broody so I have no idea how many eggs she has I assume 8-10.

3. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All my poults all in a row! The littles will be 2 weeks old tomorrow and this is the first time they all made it to the top of the brooder with the big ones lol

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I love the picture!

I had my largest one get stuck in one of the runs yesterday. He could not find the door out. Back and forth against the wire of the tractor without looking 2 feet to the right at the door. He did this for hours until I decided to open the tractor and let him out. (Opening the tractor is a pain as I have it screwed shut because of predators ( I worry about coons opening it at night.)

5. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Flock Master

Feb 28, 2013
    Gone camping
    Your poults are so cute!

I start teaching mine commands at a few days old, like "come on" so they learn to come to me when I call them. I also try to give them play time out of the brooder a couple times a day and call them. And they soon learn to come when you call them. Also I teach them to let me pick them up by holding my hand in the brooder so I can scoop them up with my two middle fingers between their legs and motion for them to come to me with one finger when I point to them. Turkey are smart if you spend the time to teach them like a puppy.

Have fun with your turkey poults! [​IMG]

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I use my middle finger on my turkeys some too, they seem to ignore it though.

7. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Thanks :) mine come running if I say "turk turk turkies!" They all let me pick them up, no problem and one follows me all around the yard lol

8. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Flock Master

Feb 28, 2013
    Gone camping

9. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    All of my birds come running when I say "Here chick chick chick" regardless of breed because they know it means food. They also all know what "Bedtime, go to bed" means. Most of them also know their names (if they have a name) & come when I call their name.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    All of my birds have ADHD and cannot follow a simple command, they run around all day and even refuse to clean up after themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by