A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Does ANYONE know anybody that breeds oscellated turkeys? Saw a picture of one for the first time yesterday and I want one SO BAD! The only thing I can find is that they're rediculous expensive but no where to even try to buy one.

I saw the same picture this morning, BUT the $500 bucks for an egg changed my mind, followed by the comment that some unscrupulous people sell regular turkey eggs....

OH,,<Which reminds me ,,Aurora I have a Oscellated Turkey egg, a guy just sold me yesterday but I cannot hatch it because of the NPIP rules. I will send it to you for $250...

Not to get too far afield, but someone on another thread said he sells the cocks' shed tail feathers and makes money that way. I don't know if it covers the feed cost but I'm sure that also depends on if you can free range the peafowl during non winter months to cut the feed bill.

I would like some, BUT not as badly as what people around here want to sell them for..

And welcome to the thread..This is your first post on here, isn't it?

I agree with Feedman, turkeys are a hoot! My Bourbon Red is super sweet!
Let's us know if you get a few.

Ralph, I think everyone needs a few Speckled Sussex! Are you selling some this year or building up your flock. It's just so much easier dealing with a laid back bunch of chickens. And they are beautiful! !

I have lots, they have been extremely successful eggs to hatch. I think I have only had one or 2 not hatch .I have probably hatch 50 this year. My DW says I have way more than I need....But what does she know?

I saw the same picture this morning, BUT the $500 bucks for an egg changed my mind, followed by the comment that some unscrupulous people sell regular turkey eggs....

OH,,<Which reminds me ,,Aurora I have a Oscellated Turkey egg, a guy just sold me yesterday but I cannot hatch it because of the NPIP rules. I will send it to you for $250...

I did see someone on eBay trying to sell some Ocellated turkey hatching eggs. I seriously doubt they were actually from Ocellated turkeys especially since the posted photos did not look like Ocellated turkeys.

I have seen a number of misidentified turkey hatching eggs on eBay lately including a woman who was illegally shipping what she claimed were BBB hatching eggs with photos of Narragansett turkeys in the ad. Caveat emptor (buyer beware).

I have lots, they have been extremely successful eggs to hatch. I think I have only had one or 2 not hatch .I have probably hatch 50 this year. My DW says I have way more than I need....But what does she know?
I have always wanted to get those but I would have to wait until next year before getting any, and if I did get some, I would probably want to breed them like I am wanting to breed Welsummers and Ameracaunas
jumpy.gif
! I hope the hatchery that I went with send some of the "Insulation" chicks as welsummer or ameracauna roosters
fl.gif

Last edited:
Does ANYONE know anybody that breeds oscellated turkeys? Saw a picture of one for the first time yesterday and I want one SO BAD! The only thing I can find is that they're rediculous expensive but no where to even try to buy one.

For the low, low price of only 3k, you could go hunt one! Additional bird is $700. Wonder if they would let you just stun them with a dart and then smuggle them home? Hahaha.

http://www.gssafaris.com/hunting/ocellated-turkey-hunting/

Ok all you Speckled Sussex people, I need pictures of your birds. That's the only breed of chicken I have. We can keep it turkey related by saying, my turkeys would like some pin ups of your SS.

Back
Top Bottom