A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Hi. New/first time turkey owner. Been wanting turkeys for years but just kept putting it off. However, I've been living vicariously through your posts learning as much as possible. Monday I saw a young Blue Slate hen standing in a yard on a busy four lane road during morning rush hour. Did a u-turn through four lanes of traffic and caught her. Dressed for work and in pumps. Can't find anyone in the area missing her. No idea where she could have come from. I live in Memphis, not out in the country. So she's here, in a large covered chain link dog run. Added a lawn chair and we've been getting to know each other. My chickens are quite jealous! She's progressed from avoiding me to sitting on my lap. So that's how I got my first turkey! Just wanted to introduce myself....I'm sure I'll have tons of questions!

2. CherMoz

CherMoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    South Central Wisconsin
    Welcome to the turkey thread! GREAT save! Enjoy your new turkey friend.

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Memphis Welcome to the turkey thread!

As you have now found out, turkeys are luvable and friendly. I hope you and your turkey get to be great friends.

Do you live in the city? Do you have acreage for it?

Next spring you will have turkey eggs, another bonus.

4. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Welcome to the thread and turkeys.

Pretty cool on your aquisition of a turkey.

They have a much better personality than chickens.

5. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Thanks for the welcome. I have about a half acre fenced, so hoping that's enough. Right now I'm trying to figure out what all the different sounds she makes mean. Gosh she's sweet!

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Turkeys love to make noises after a while you will know what they all mean. Most mean they love you, or are upset.

7. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    I got my first chickens and first turkey this spring - I have to agree that turkey noises are the cutest thing. I love the happy turkey chirps. My narragansett is about 4 months old, and we're hoping to get some bourbon red poults in the next couple of weeks. Hadn't planned to get more right away, but just love my turkey and want more.....digging the brooder back out of the barn :). Learning lots, and have been reading the turkey forum for a while now - so glad to be able to read about everyone else's turkeys!

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Welcome to the thread and BYC.

Turkeys are terrible when it comes to chicken math! They are larger and add up faster. I started with 3 a year ago in April. I now have about 40 turkeys. 130 chickens and 30 guineas,

9. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    I could be in trouble! My hubby may not prepared for this :). Although I may be okay - the first turkey was his idea, so I'm sure that absolves me from any responsibility for the multiplication that happens after?!

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Oh Yea it does!

Anytime the spouse says Ok. or even maybe, anything that happens from that point on is on their shoulders!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by