A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    So if I have a chance (which I do) to get a couple turkey "mutts" vs a couple "pure" breds for about half the price that might be the way to go?

2. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Sometimes you can get much healthier birds from "mutts" because new genetics are introduced where birds have been too closely related for too long trying to perfect color rather than health & vigor. Feather color means nothing to the quality of the meat or the health of the bird. Go with the healthiest birds that fit your budget.

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    What Silkie said!

I like my "pures" But I love my mutts.

4. SilkieSensation

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    My pures were pretty, but my "mutts" are gorgeous! They are also heavier bodied on average than my pures. Think someone mixed a little broad breasted into mine a few generations ago...lol

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Silkie, Do you think it is possible to keep a BBB alive long enough to breed naturally?

I was gone for a few days, doing serious grandpa duties, on a lake in a boat. I let my young'uns out today for the first time in 5 days. They were HAPPY!

They flew and ran all over the yard. Then I noticed it. my BBB have turned into beautiful birds!

I want that incorporated into my flock next year. If one of them happens to be a hen I will keep it to mate with JJ next spring. If they are both toms, I am just out of luck..... unless someone tells me I can keep a tom alive and small enough to breed.

Also I have picked my Tom for next year, besides JJ. I have a beautiful blue! he has lots of dark feathers, tall legs and large body. He is the one to replace his father, who is going to be guest of honor at T-day dinner.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  6. SilkieSensation

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    You will have much better luck with a hen than a tom. The henscan easily be bred by a heritage tom. The key is keeping her weight down enough so that excess fat isn't obstructing egg laying & fertility. Free ranging as much as possible, minimal suplements to her diet with grain or bagged feed & lots of exercise is what she will need to stay slim enough to produce.

A tom will get too big even if feed is restricted. They eventually get to 50 pounds or better, which is much too heavy to be stomping on the back of poor little 12-14 pound heritage hens. 35 pound heritage toms do enough damage to those poor girls. A bb tom could kill them quite easily with his weight during mating.

7. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    [​IMG]

My Adam (formerly Eve) is getting SO BIG! I've seen some strutting over the past week so I'm assuming he's a he. He's still my cuddle buddy though. He's still on my shoulder, trying to snuggle his head under my neck and ponytail lol

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

This is a picture of "big Bird" our BBW. I bought him in early May from Runnings. He is by far my biggest poult. He had a string wrapped on his foot this morning. I caught him to take it off and he cried like a baby! matter of fact one of my Barred Rocks fluffed up and looked like she was going to attack me for hurting Big Bird. When I let Big Bird down the hen was happy again.

[​IMG]

Here is Big Bird with his back to us, surrounded by Toads, slates and BBB.

9. CherMoz

CherMoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    South Central Wisconsin
    I've had that happen, too, especially since a fox took out our alpha rooster. The hens have really become protective.

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Has anyone heard from MM?

Did she get to take an incubator on vacation?

Did she smuggle the eggs across the border?

Is she is Saskatoon prison for women?

Where did she find good beer to drink in Canada?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by