A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

George is eating out of my hand now :) I'm feeding him a mixture of. 50/50 24% crumble anf boiled egg. I also started mixing the tetracycline into the feed with it. He has made a dramatic turnaround. Can't help but wonder how many chicks I could have saved over the last year if I had treated them like Im doing George. I have so many chickens that one or two losses here and there hasn't concerned me. Gonna reevaluate that policy. I believe George or Georgia as the case me be is firmly on the road to recovery, Other than a blind eye. I'm hoping he turns out as gentle as the breeders tom who acted more like a spoiled dog than a bird

Well, the 4 month old BBB with the slipped tendon dressed out to 5 lbs. Pretty respectable, i can deal with this. Hoping no one else takes a flying leap and messes up their leg.

Last edited:
Is there a temperature that turkeys start having severe problems as my young turkeys had some very swollen faces and red necks ..

I know it really is not even getting hot yet and is only the 25 of June and yes it will get much hotter and I have put out some shallow buckets of water for the turkeys to stand or lay down in to help cool them down so if any one has ever worked with turkeys in the extreme heat I would greatly happy to receive some constructive advice .

Oh this photo I just took 25 June 2016 just after 1 PM Pacific time .

Is there a temperature that turkeys start having severe problems as my young turkeys had some very swollen faces and red necks ..

I know it really is not even getting hot yet and is only the 25 of June and yes it will get much hotter and I have put out some shallow buckets of water for the turkeys to stand or lay down in to help cool them down so if any one has ever worked with turkeys in the extreme heat I would greatly happy to receive some constructive advice .

Oh this photo I just took 25 June 2016 just after 1 PM Pacific time .

Man, and I thought it was hot here! We have had record high temps here in Tucson, 110.5 in the shade one day, and it says hot at night and the day after day of heat is very stressful on me and the birds! I lost multiple chickens but no turkeys to the heat. 100% shade, spray down the pen, put ice in the water; some people put out frozen water bottles or frozen gallons of water from old milk jugs for them to sit against to stay cool. I have too many pens to do that, they are all panting a great deal. I have one big grow out pen where I moved 1-2 month olds and put a kiddie pool with a couple of inches of water for them to stand in, and yes they do: I don't think they have all figured out yet that it will help them but it is there should they want it and I change it out every morning. None of mine have swollen heads, one tom in particular gets a really red neck and head in the head; I would worry if their head is swollen, does the swelling go down when it cools off (or does it cool off where you are??). If you have electric where they are, maybe set up a fan to move the air, even if the air is hot, I think it helps.

Is there a temperature that turkeys start having severe problems as my young turkeys had some very swollen faces and red necks .. I know it really is not even getting hot yet and is only the 25 of June and yes it will get much hotter and I have put out some shallow buckets of water for the turkeys to stand or lay down in to help cool them down so if any one has ever worked with turkeys in the extreme heat I would greatly happy to receive some constructive advice . Oh this photo I just took 25 June 2016 just after 1 PM Pacific time .
You have my heart felt prayers. I could not survive your climate

Gander...i use box fans. Horrible here too.

Well they didnt kill me in surgery. Hurts & cant seem to get comfortable. Van is totaled. Just wish it wasnt so hot. This whole thing is highly irritating

Gander...i use box fans. Horrible here too.

Well they didnt kill me in surgery. Hurts & cant seem to get comfortable. Van is totaled. Just wish it wasnt so hot. This whole thing is highly irritating

See I knew the surgery would be a breeze for you. You should have looked towards me to do it and you would have saved a ton of money!

I am glad you are mending. Insurance companies were created to cause us grief. I hope they replace it without too many hassles. They always seem to depreciate them more than they should in my mind. They never understand equal miles on a vehicle does not mean the vehicles are equa.

I lost one bird today in the heat and I have another circling the drain. The one was almost gone yesterday. They are some of my cripples I have tried to heal and keep alive. It just does not work, This heat (94 degrees) is more than my birds can take. It is more than I can take. It is cooling now, thunderstorm and tornado warnings all around here. It has dropped to 77 degrees in last 20 minutes.

It is not that cool feeling though the humidity is 80% right now.

Last edited:

They have a truck topper shelter held up by hay bales. So far 10 poults, rest of nest is still hatching in my hatcher.

Back
Top Bottom