A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Toppers are great, I have 2 of them and wish I had 4 more... The WWD hates the two I have and wishes I had none.

The Blue hen was teaching her babies to bathe today. It was so cute, but before I could get close enough she started moving them away. These are the couple pictures I got. All four and the mother were bathing together at one point.

I found a hidden nest today in the turkey coop. I'm blaming Pebbles for this since she is the only one that I've seen fly down out of the rafters in the middle of the day. There's a small loft in their coop and I found 6 eggs in the back corner. Crazy belly buttons!

Memphis: glad your surgery went well.
Too bad van is totaled. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Aurora: glad you found the nest before coco did. How is coco doing? Poor pebbles catching the blame.

Ralph: are those bathing birds free range or enclosed? It's cute when the babies figure out how to dust.

Jrnash: glad to hear George is making a recovery.

Gander: that temp just isn't right. Way too hot.

I found a nest out in the pasture left one egg in it. Glad I found it as the next day it was destroyed. I have one hen setting on a nest I haven't found she comes back too eat every couple evenings.

I hen in a secure nest on 5 eggs.

Have 7 new poults from the incubator.

2 in lockdown and 20 eggs still cooking turkey wise. Any turkey eggs from now on are getting eaten.

I'm getting 12-14 eggs a day out of my quail just set 100 eggs in incubator tonight.

The weekend before the 4th gonna butcher 14 extra male quail and one of my blue toms. All are headed to the smoker for a 4th of July cookout.

Alright well we are almost to three months that penny hen has been setting on an empty nest. I think I am starting to finally break her I and all I did was move her cage where her nest was at and put it up off the ground and she is now not jumping up on her nest, she isn't constantly trying to get through the chicken pen to get to her nest but I moved her cage out of the pen so I don't have to go and chase her out one of he pen doors away from the chickens.

The bathing beauties were free ranging at the time of the picture. I lock them up nightly but let them out for a few hours each day. They like to graze and follow the flock. The Toms appear to ignore the poults or give them wide berth. The Mother thinks she needs to get knocked up again. She is submitting to JJ even when he is not asking. I am not sure if she is laying eggs or not. It appears there are more eggs in her nest than there should be.

She has not let me into it to remove the old rotten ones. She is kind of feisty too...

Lizzie has went broody. I have to give her Guinea eggs I suppose. The Partridge Chanticler hatched her guineas today. No idea how many there are.

The broody turkey has about 10 I think.

King George wanted to die tonight. He decided to roost next to a couple turkeys on the roof of the turkey apartments. I forced him into his pen/hut. However, he did not want to go in. Lizzie is not very creative, she is broody in the nest in the hut. Maybe he is afraid of her.

Is there a temperature that turkeys start having severe problems as my young turkeys had some very swollen faces and red necks ..

I know it really is not even getting hot yet and is only the 25 of June and yes it will get much hotter and I have put out some shallow buckets of water for the turkeys to stand or lay down in to help cool them down so if any one has ever worked with turkeys in the extreme heat I would greatly happy to receive some constructive advice .

Oh this photo I just took 25 June 2016 just after 1 PM Pacific time .

That is far too hot for me. The high here for yesterday was only 80°F and it was down to 43°F this morning.

George is coming along nicely

Back
Top Bottom