A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I have never lost a bird to the owls except at night also.

I have never lost a full grown turkey to an owl either. But I find everything likes poults. I plan to raise my poults under cover until they are larger this year. I keep guineas with my turkeys, they are so annoying at times I use them as sacrifices to keep the owls away from my turkeys.

I cannot get most of my turkeys to go into a building to roost, no matter the weather they like to sit out in it.

Last edited:
A century??? Why cant it be for just a year? Like last year some one had the turkey talk thread, and this year, so does another. i think its more fair for a person to get it for 1 year and not get it for a century. Just my honest opinion.

I wonder how many posts this thread will have on December 31, 2099?

I have never lost a bird to the owls except at night also.

I have never lost a full grown turkey to an owl either. But I find everything likes poults. I plan to raise my poults under cover until they are larger this year. I keep guineas with my turkeys, they are so annoying at times I use them as sacrifices to keep the owls away from my turkeys.

I cannot get most of my turkeys to go into a building to roost, no matter the weather they like to sit out in it.
I can't get mine to roost inside, either. They like to sit out in the rain and cold instead.

Has anyone lost a turkey to a bobcat or fox? I've lost several chickens to a bobcat over the years but so far so good with the turkeys. Knock on wood.

Owls tend to take the poults off of roosts at night.  I have never lost a poult to an owl during the daytime.  As long as you keep them in at night they should be safe from owls.  I have great horned owls around and they have never bothered my adult turkeys.

Good luck.

R2elk is right my losses from owls were at night. I lost several poults and a couple adult hens.
The owls never touched my adult toms.

If I can find the owl. He will get permanently rehomed.

So if uou poults are secured at night they will be fine to range during the day.
I'm building a cage that should suit them as adults, so hopefully they come back to me and use it instead of roosting at night.

I'm building a cage that should suit them as adults, so hopefully they come back to me and use it instead of roosting at night.

My Brother in law has an old corn crib his guineas roost in at night. The old round wire ones shaped like a grain bin.

The sit up high in it. however the door on the bottom is always open, so far he has not lost any to owls, he has had them there for a couple years. I have thought about finding one of them for the turkey and guineas that do not want to go inside.

However, my problem is a little different as the turkeys roost next to the chicken coop and hang with the chickens most the day. I have one hen turkey that goes into the coop and roosts with the chickens each night while the rest stay outside. I am not sure how I would get them trained to use a cage.

Hopefully my toms are still doing their job.

Just placed 15 eggs in incubator. Will candle in 10 days to see.

Worked outside all day... Day 27 and lockdown on 11 Turkey eggs, an early one piped the wrong end and died at some point yesterday afternoon, removed it and did a quick candle on the remaining 10 and at least four had internal pips, one piped the shell as I was candling, closed it up and walked away.. Got up this morning to one hatched and 8 more pips... Worked outside all day, just came in and we have 7 out, one zipping and two more hatched...

My best hatch rate yet... if all make it 95%!!!
celebrate.gif

Worked outside all day...  Day 27 and lockdown on 11 Turkey eggs, an early one piped the wrong end and died at some point yesterday afternoon, removed it and did a quick candle on the remaining 10 and at least four had internal pips, one piped the shell as I was candling, closed it up and walked away..  Got up this morning to one hatched and 8 more pips...  Worked outside all day, just came in and we have 7 out, one zipping and two more hatched...

My best hatch rate yet... if all make it 95%!!!:celebrate

Congratulations on the new poults.

And such an excellent hatch rate.

A century??? Why cant it be for just a year? Like last year some one had the turkey talk thread, and this year, so does another. i think its more fair for a person to get it for 1 year and not get it for a century. Just my honest opinion.

The problem is, no one bothered to start the new thread for 2015 & we kinda decided a new thread every year was a pain. You're welcome to start it if you like, but the year is almost half over now...and was well into the new year when this was started.

What were your temps during incubation and lockdown? And what was your humidity during incubation and lockdown. And what incubator were you using? Thanks, sorry for all the questions

Back
Top Bottom