A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Feisty, I just sat in a lawn chair in Daisy's pen. Handing her a treat every once in awhile. Now she's an entitled & possesive attention hog. She's extremely manipulative. I wouldnt trade my sweet little lapper for the world! :lol:

Feisty, I just sat in a lawn chair in Daisy's pen. Handing her a treat every once in awhile. Now she's an entitled & possesive attention hog. She's extremely manipulative. I wouldnt trade my sweet little lapper for the world! :lol:

I couldn't put a chair in with the turkeys because of Turkules, but I've been siting on a chair in the chicken area today. I remembered that you did that with Daisy :) I don't know if Big Bird will ever be a lapper, but she seems more laid back today than she was around the other turkeys (even with the new roomies). We'll see how it works for her after a couple of days. But I'm home, so can spend lots of time in the barn on my ipad :)

I am working on narrowing down the boys, as much as that bites. I may advertise one of the bourbon boys on CL, since they have wonderful temperments. I wouldn't be comfortable selling Turkules to anyone with his current attitude problem :/ If he doesn't shape up soon - he may get invited to dinner. Strangely, he doesn't fight with any of the other boys or get picked on - just wants a piece of DH and me....

I couldn't put a chair in with the turkeys because of Turkules, but I've been siting on a chair in the chicken area today. I remembered that you did that with Daisy
smile.png
I don't know if Big Bird will ever be a lapper, but she seems more laid back today than she was around the other turkeys (even with the new roomies). We'll see how it works for her after a couple of days. But I'm home, so can spend lots of time in the barn on my ipad
smile.png

I am working on narrowing down the boys, as much as that bites. I may advertise one of the bourbon boys on CL, since they have wonderful temperments. I wouldn't be comfortable selling Turkules to anyone with his current attitude problem
hmm.png
If he doesn't shape up soon - he may get invited to dinner. Strangely, he doesn't fight with any of the other boys or get picked on - just wants a piece of DH and me....

That would make it a lot easier for you to process Turkules ...

It does bite Feisty. I've had to rehome dogs based on temperament. Not for aggression, but when you spend lots of time training a dog it's just gotta click. That partnership has to be there. Yeah, just hang out with Big Bird. She'll come around! :)

Easier yes, but still not easy - I'm hoping that I get a bit accustomed to making these decisions over time.

You have to look at it from a couple sides.

You gave them a much better life than they would have had in a factory farm... You are providing your family with pure drug and medication free meat.. You are participating in the circle of life, something must die for us to survive. Even a cabbage values its life.

Make sure you thank him for his gift or nourishment to you and your family and to the joy he brought to you.

He had lots of good days followed by one bad day. You did your best...

If it ever gets easy what would it say about you as a person? For me, I hope it never gets easy.

And Yukon Jack will help dull your pain.

By the way...I got Daisy to walk up the A Frame today. Just couldn't get her to walk down the other side. She would just launch. :rolleyes: AND I got her to take a 4" jump. I'm trying her on weave poles this weekend!

I must tell you I went to lock up the blue that did not go in when I caught Penguin today. As soon as I stepped outside, I noticed a calm I am not use too. The peacefulness of not having Ginger and penguin is affecting all the birds. I think removing two belly buttons makes everyone happy. I am happy. My DW seems happy and the turkeys and chickens seem happy.

The only ones not happy are the guineas. but they looked up to penguin as a role model..

Back
Top Bottom