A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Got home early enough to take all the girls for a walk. Most of our daffodils have flower buds on them. Well...they used to have buds. It's apparently flower buds are a turkey delicacy. :(

Got back home about an hour before bedtime. Locked all the girls into their yard. Daisy kept pacing the fence doing that loud turkey chirp. It was killing me. Finally let her & Annie into my yard to hang out. I'm a push over. And Daisy is playing me....:/

Daisy has you wrapped around her little toe :)

Funny that they'll eat daffodils - even the deer leave mine alone lol, turkeys have no taste :p

Big Bird's first egg cracked, so I opened it to check for fertility. I have a whopper of a cold, so I'm waiting until I can taste food again before I eat one - I've been waiting forever to try a turkey egg! I have no idea if she'll go broody, so I'm not sure if I'll be hanging onto any for her to hatch.

The lady who is wanting one of the bourbon boys let me know she's planning to pick him up on Wed. The boys have actually been very well behaved with Big Bird out of the mix (no fighting), but I know that wasn't a long term solution - so this is a good thing.

Hey guys, a little catch up. .I sold Mo/Tom for $25 to a nice family that seems to love him. They offered me some Marans eggs for $3 a doz to incubate. They gave me 17 eggs so i vave them $6. Tbey also had a Comercial white that had an injured lev they were talking about giving away so i offered them $10.. My tom Curly isnt getting along with her and she is just as a couple hours ago starting to move around. She seems to like being among the 3 month old chicks. Idk, i am considering checking with the family and putting her out of her misery. She is like 50# and just wobbles when she walks.... idk... any suggestions? After she and Curly, i dont know if im getting any more Turkeys.

Wow Big Bird! Fiesty, what are you doing with the eggs? Eating them?

Aurora, congrats on all the poultry sales. That's terrific. Maybe you let Pebbles raise the ones you keep.

That was what I was thinking. I guess it really depends. I'm waiting for a few pure Bourbon reds to hatch but Adam is really throwing a ton of the Bourbon buffs.

How much were yiu selling the poults for?

I think that's directed at me? They're $10 each.

Pebbles' photo shoot! First pic, she didn't know what was going on Starting to puff up and hiss. She did NOT like the flash Just got done checking her eggs. She's none too happy. Looking to make sure that I don't have anymore of her eggs lol
Loving the red in her back. Is that just the light or is that red patch always visible? None of my other babies have that!
They are most likely going to be Broad Breasted, I have never had turkeys before, So I don't really know much about that
Boy, I sure don't know. What weight are you looking for at show time? BB are easy to grow, of course they are like CX broilers and tend to over eat. I would get twice as many as you expect to show, just incase. Some turkeys love to commit suicide in very creative ways. I wish I know more but without knowing your end goals it is kind of hard. You will have to familiarize yourself with the SOP for them and what the local judges seems to like. Sorry we are not more help.
Boy, I sure don't know. What weight are you looking for at show time? BB are easy to grow, of course they are like CX broilers and tend to over eat. I would get twice as many as you expect to show, just incase. Some turkeys love to commit suicide in very creative ways. I wish I know more but without knowing your end goals it is kind of hard. You will have to familiarize yourself with the SOP for them and what the local judges seems to like. Sorry we are not more help.
its not a problem.... I think that the Ideal Weight is about 45 lbs. I get them around febuary 18th, And they go to fair on june 23, and butcher day is a few days after that. I Am only showing 1-2, and selling one. I think we are planning on Buying 3 Poults, but I think we might do 4.
If you want to show 1-2, start with 8. You WILL almost definitely lose about half since this is the first time you have had them. You want twice as many raised out for showing than what you actually want to show. They are prone to health issues due to their fast growth rate, so you want extras available to choose from at show time. Pick your best for the show. The rest make good Thanksgiving & Christmas diners.

Loving the red in her back. Is that just the light or is that red patch always visible? None of my other babies have that!

If you want to show 1-2, start with 8. You WILL almost definitely lose about half since this is the first time you have had them. You want twice as many raised out for showing than what you actually want to show. They are prone to health issues due to their fast growth rate, so you want extras available to choose from at show time. Pick your best for the show. The rest make good Thanksgiving & Christmas diners.

It's just the sheen on her feathers. In the light it reflects either green or red like that. She's a stunning girl in the sunlight :)

It's just the sheen on her feathers. In the light it reflects either green or red like that. She's a stunning girl in the sunlight :)

I kept 2 bronze mix this fall. They have a lot of shine too, but usually blue/purple.

Back
Top Bottom