A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Well after several weeks of trying to figure out what breed of turkey we wanted ( my son and I), how many we wanted, did we want eggs or poults, we finally decided on BBB poults. If all goes well, I want to try some heritage turkeys next year. I didn't know a thing about raising cornish X so I guess I can learn how to raise BBB. My first year I raised 100 cornish x with only 3 losses and last year I raised 50 with only one loss....I stepped on it. Nearly killed me. I also got a hankering (if that is a word) to raise layers last year. After much protest from the husband (I refuse to use DH in this instance) he finally gave in. I was going to get them any way, I just wanted his approval if possible. Now he practically has taken them over and wants to tell me how to do it
somad.gif
! Our oldest son (25) raises quail and pigs. Our youngest son (24) eats all of it but wants nothing to do with the raising or killing. I hope our adventure with turkeys is as rewarding as the chickens, but not as addictive. I'm up to 20 layers.

Well after several weeks of trying to figure out what breed of turkey we wanted ( my son and I), how many we wanted, did we want eggs or poults, we finally decided on BBB poults.  If all goes well, I want to try some heritage turkeys next year.  I didn't know a thing about raising cornish X so I guess I can learn how to raise BBB.  My first year I raised 100 cornish x with only 3 losses and last year I raised 50 with only one loss....I stepped on it.  Nearly killed me.  I also got a hankering (if that is a word) to raise layers last year.  After much protest from the husband (I refuse to use DH in this instance) he finally gave in.  I was going to get them any way, I just wanted his approval if possible.  Now he practically has taken them over and wants to tell me how to do it  :mad: !  Our oldest son (25) raises quail and pigs.  Our youngest son (24) eats all of it but wants nothing to do with the raising or killing.  I hope our adventure with turkeys is as rewarding as the chickens, but not as addictive.  I'm up to 20 layers.

Congrats on getting poults.... Hate to tell you.... They're proven to be as addictive as chickens :p

Im not sure if anyone can help with this situation,, I have done searches high n wide, here on this site and others..

I have a young broad breasted white turkey, about a month old? He has a badly injured knee..vet says she thinks bone is ok but tendon may b broken. We tried different splints,, even the one vet put on,, and none will work bc if u fix it straight, he drags it behind..pretty much same with making a bent one. We have to b sure knee wont turn sideways , while making him b able to walk which will require him being able to bend knee. He is happy, healthy, eating n drinking fine. Vet gave me pain meds but he doesnt seem to b in pain, which is crazy bc I know thats gotta hurt..he is SUCH a sweety..loves petted and very calm,, amazing bc we have messed w him and he should b terrified of us,, he wansnt especially tame before this but he seems to genuinely like ppl.I wasnt gonna name him bc I know this doesnt look good, especially for a large meaty type bird..but..."Woody" it is. No idea why, lol. Everyone in vet office fell in love w him bc he is so sweet. I know he is only a 6 dollar bird,, but I took him to vet anyway,, cost me 87.50 when u figure in gas..yes, im nuts! There aare no avian vets here, but our vet did at least try. Has anyone ever fixed this type of issue w aany success? And is anyone willing to help us figure it out..its always hard to put an animal down, but bc he is eating and drinking fine, seems happy and no obvious pain..I find it so hard to put down such a sweet guy. Any help appreciated!

Can you separate him with what he needs and limit space. Or let others see him but not get to him. It takes several months for an injury to heal. We had broken bones with dogs and rabbits. They told us to put in small area for several months.

Hey ya'll. Beautiful weekend here! Have a young male dog in town for a show. It's funny, Annie could care less about a new dog floating around. Daisy is barking at it. She's not happy. She just doesn't like any new dog. She barely tolerates the dogs that live here full time. Annie is not bothered by dogs at all. Interesting difference in temperament.

I've got him in a tote in the house. I thought if he gets too stressed out about being alone, I'll bring in one of his brothers or sisters. Vet said make sure he doesn't have to travel very far for food n water. Main problem is just the darn splint. It does immobilize knee joint but leg is straight out so he can't walk like that and just drags it behind, and other leg is pretty much useless too bc of that. Need a splint that has a hinge or something to allow it to bend so he can walk, bUT still immobliges knée joint from gping sideways.. I'm gonna try some ideas I thought of today, but was hoping someone else had a better one, lol.
Thanks for the input tho. If he ever gets well enough, I'll put him near other pen.

Back
Top Bottom