A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Here you go...Big Betty.

This is Henny Penny. I adopted her from a neighbor last year. They had decided to sell all their chickens but Penny was special to them and they didn't want her living alone so they asked me to adopt her. She's about 5 or 6 years old, has horribly crooked toes, and doesn't lay anymore but she's a sweet heart with a ton of personality. These aren't the most flattering pictures of her but this was just after she joined my flock. The pecking order was still being sorted out.

Last edited:
Advice plz. I recently aquired a royal palm turkey tom. I have always wanted these beautiful birds and was looking to get a hen asap to incubate eggs and raise my own as well. The guy I got him from wanted laying hens (chickens) so I traded him several of my young ones for the tom. He said he raised him from a chick and the tom could act aggressive, esp in spring and fall but that he always backed down if u let him know u werent afraid of him. I told him I had young grandkids but he assured me that he was fine around his grandkids the same age. Soooo, after keeping him penned up for a week I let him free range w my chickens. He did show some aggression but I made sure he was just bluffing,, after watching him for most of the day, I didnt worry about it too much. I was working on the pen and he blindsided me and attacked me. Several Major scratches on my face, knocked my glasses and me flying thru the air..he really got me a good one. I had no idea he could do that kind of damage w one attack. Thankfully, my mom and granddaughter who were near, were not the ones attacked,and didnt see it happen..my 3 yr old granddaughter could have been seiously injured and traumatized as well. Until I decide what to do he has been put in soliatary w no chance of parole. Is this a common issue w toms? I have been around young turkeys but really not a lot of experience w adult birds. I do have exp w other poultry, but my chickens, ducks, and guineas have never put possible scarring for life or terror into the picture, lol. I do have young turkeys and they are so sweet and friendly,, so far, anyway. Im wondering if I should get a hen and go ahead and try to raise my own palms, then sell him asap. I can keep them in a pen and keep wire between him and the outside potential human prey..is it likely that my own birds will have same issues later? And when my broad breasted bronze and white breasted bronze grow up, will my sweeties turn into monsrous predators as well? What about any other breeds I had been considering? Any help, ideas, thoughts appreciated. appreciated.

Advice plz. I recently acquired a royal palm turkey tom. I have always wanted these beautiful birds and was looking to get a hen asap to incubate eggs and raise my own as well. The guy I got him from wanted laying hens (chickens) so I traded him several of my young ones for the tom. He said he raised him from a chick and the tom could act aggressive, esp in spring and fall but that he always backed down if u let him know u werent afraid of him. I told him I had young grandkids but he assured me that he was fine around his grandkids the same age. Soooo, after keeping him penned up for a week I let him free range w my chickens. He did show some aggression but I made sure he was just bluffing,, after watching him for most of the day, I didnt worry about it too much. I was working on the pen and he blindsided me and attacked me. Several Major scratches on my face, knocked my glasses and me flying thru the air..he really got me a good one. I had no idea he could do that kind of damage w one attack. Thankfully, my mom and granddaughter who were near, were not the ones attacked,and didnt see it happen..my 3 yr old granddaughter could have been seriously injured and traumatized as well. Until I decide what to do he has been put in solitary w no chance of parole. Is this a common issue w toms? I have been around young turkeys but really not a lot of experience w adult birds. I do have exp w other poultry, but my chickens, ducks, and guineas have never put possible scarring for life or terror into the picture, lol. I do have young turkeys and they are so sweet and friendly,, so far, anyway. Im wondering if I should get a hen and go ahead and try to raise my own palms, then sell him asap. I can keep them in a pen and keep wire between him and the outside potential human prey..is it likely that my own birds will have same issues later? And when my broad breasted bronze and white breasted bronze grow up, will my sweeties turn into monstrous predators as well? What about any other breeds I had been considering? Any help, ideas, thoughts appreciated. appreciated.

This is not uncommon among turkeys that have been imprinted on people. Birds in general and turkeys in particular imprint on people very easily. Those that are imprinted don't recognize any difference between themselves and people. As such during breeding season imprinted toms can become very territorial. The seller telling you that this particular tom would be fine around your grandchildren was lying.

I recommend that you return the tom and demand your money back. Under no circumstances would I use this particular tom for breeding on the off chance that his personality is not just based on imprinting but because it may be a characteristic that he has inherited.

If your own poults were imprinted on people, any toms you have that are "so sweet" now can become problems when they are adults during breeding season.

Many male poultry can be very aggressive and attack humans and other poultry chickens turkeys toms roosters drakes ducks females males grandkids ect females. They all have an aggressive side. Mine do ok around my partner. I keep my 5 year old away. And they have attacked me my roosters. So I not surprised at your Tom. I go out with a spay bottle of water. And a broom a box something to sheld yourself. I have also dunked in warm water once to teach it's not acceptable behavior .not run from them. Chase them with the tools. Don't back down.

Nin, I agree with R2elk. Return the bird. Or...there is always freezer camp.

Ralph, how old are your SS?

I'm spending too much time with my turkey hens. I can tell when either one is getting ready to lay an egg.

Going to be a nice weekend here! Yipee! We've had so much rain. It will be nice to get a break!! I'm planning to spend time in the garden with the turkey hens. Unlike my chickdns, they just pretty much hang out inspecting my garden tools. They aren't particularly ambitious. My chickens scratch and kick stuff all over the place. Plus they eat my hostas.

I'm assuming I'm not the only one with lazy turkeys......

Back
Top Bottom