A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Having friends over this afternoon for a BBQ. Weather is just perfect & the garden is glorious. After the incident with Daisy stealing pizza, she'll have to be on lock down in her pen. Boy is she going to have her beak out of joint. She's such a social gadfly.:rolleyes:

The rest look fine so far. I just think she failed to thrive but if course, a girl.

Murphy's law in full force!

It is like the "white sports" I have had 5 hatched this spring. I want a flock of them so badly. I have not lost many birds at all this year. Maybe 2% which is pretty good for me. BUT 3 of the whites have died! One fail to thrive, one was trampled in a stampede of stupid birds when I fed them. The last one committed suicide by getting trapped between the feeder and the brooder wall. How they moved the feeder that close to the wall is beyond me!

Having friends over this afternoon for a BBQ. Weather is just perfect & the garden is glorious. After the incident with Daisy stealing pizza, she'll have to be on lock down in her pen. Boy is she going to have her beak out of joint. She's such a social gadfly.
roll.png

gig.gif

I know what you mean! Ethel has her "beak a tad out of joint" too. We had let JJ out, as I told you. The other toms were beating the poop out of him, when my wife declared the other toms all dead. So yesterday I made a special pen for the boys and put them in it yesterday. They are not happy boys.

I am, and I know some of you will not like this, feeding them high protein feed and LOTS of shell corn. I want to fatten them up for about 3 weeks before the deed is done. They are thin from relentless strutting and fighting through the wire. The stupid toms do not even take time to eat! Once I get them fat, they will be going to freezer camp, except one that is schedule to visit the smoker for my niece's graduation from college.

So I went into the turkey run to get JJ and release him, again. Ethel came running over to me quacking like a wet hen and PO'd because she was lucked up. When I told her she had to stay in longer and shut the door on her, I really heard it. All afternoon I heard her quacking her protests over still being locked up!

So I know exactly what you are in for!

GUESS WHAT, EVERYONE?

I have eggs hatching today!....and tomorrow.. and the next day...and the next....

I really screwed up my egg setting somehow. I was doing so good, until the turkeys and chickens started messing with the schedule.

GUESS WHAT, EVERYONE?

I have eggs hatching today!....and tomorrow.. and the next day...and the next....

I really screwed up my egg setting somehow. I was doing so good, until the turkeys and chickens started messing with the schedule.

I'm going that way, too. More under the 2nd broody and 7 in the incubator. I sympathize.

Yeah Ralph, I'm familiar with that turkey hen bark! Although that's one of the more interesting things about my turkeys. I can pretty much figure out what's going on with them based on their vocalizations. It's so varied and expressive. I just love that little happy turkey trill. And if they are in the gardens with me, Daisy will do that locator call. I'll yell over at her & she'll do the trill. Of course this goes on every 10 minutes if she can't see me. She tends to do this from her dust bath. Guess she just wants to know where I am but doesn't want to get her big turkey butt out of the spa.

You need to let Ethel out by herself in the evenings during Chicken TV for some special bonding time! :D

Back
Top Bottom