A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

lau.gif

The number one time that turkeys poop is when they are roosting.

My turkeys find particular joy in sitting right on the roll cage of my bobcat and pooping! My wife finds it funny when I am constantly running to chase them off it, which is another reason she is known as the WWD.

Feedman - adorable poults (darn, every time I see poults I want to run out and get some myself)!

Aurora - those littles are getting big! They are going to be beautiful
smile.png

Coffee - I can relate to the 'first turkey nerves' - my first guy is just a year old now. They are always an adventure
tongue.png
. Sounds like Porter and his girls are settling in (and trying out all the roosting options
roll.png
)

So Coco was off the nest briefly when I went to let everyone out this morning and I noticed that there were only two of the four eggs that I gave her still in the nest. I was in office clothes, so left it to tonight to look for the missing eggs. Of course, she was back on the nest when I went out to check after work. Gloves, padded jacket and tried to sneak in. I can only find 2 eggs....any ideas where the others could have gone?? Oh ya....and Coco definitely is a biter. She managed to find the only exposed skin I had (between my glove and the jacket cuff). Darn bird lol, I need a shark suit. I don't want her sitting forever if she's not going to hatch something - is there any way to discourage her from being broody? Or do I try giving her another batch of eggs? Any advice? Should I separate her completely from the other hens? Trust me - the mood she's in - no one is bothering her....
hide.gif

My broody is so mellow. She just gets up and moves off the eggs when I come in the coop. There was another hen sitting right next to her last night. I think she wants to go broody. I need to find a place for her and give her some eggs. I need more pens, runs and coops, but the weather and my truck and a tractor are fighting me on this. Plus I helped a neighbor kid (close to 40 but a kid to me) build a coop for his wife. She wants chickens so bad and the coops in the farm stores are so flimsy and cheaply made, he wanted one like mine.

My truck decided it needed new brakes and pads , that took me a day as everything went wrong while changing them. I went to the feedstore and on the way back I started smelling something like brake pads. When I got home I felt each wheel and the rear drivers side wheel was hot enough to burn skin! I think the wheel bearing again. Another day shot to h-e double hockey sticks...

The tractor needs front end work and I need to repack the cylinders.... and it is not even my tractor, my best friend's, and his mechanical ability is about the same as a can of tuna fish..... So a few days ruined there and nothing done for me.

Summer has not even started and I am 4 months behind on work.

Hey all...just checking in. Still showing dogs this week in Missouri. It's been in the high 80's so R2elk's snow picture completely freaked me out!

All the babies are adorable. I'm so jealous! Aurora, loved the shots with your son!

So I'm at our National Specialty with folks here from all over the world. And I just happened to find another person who has two Bourbon Red turkey hen pets! At the Health & Genetics Seminar we spent an hour in the back of the room showing each other our turkey pictures. Surrounded by knowledgeable dog people from all over the world & we can't stop talking about our turkeys! Ya'll have ruined me!

Coffee...loved the update on your birds!

Hey all...just checking in. Still showing dogs this week in Missouri. It's been in the high 80's so R2elk's snow picture completely freaked me out!

All the babies are adorable. I'm so jealous! Aurora, loved the shots with your son!

So I'm at our National Specialty with folks here from all over the world. And I just happened to find another person who has two Bourbon Red turkey hen pets! At the Health & Genetics Seminar we spent an hour in the back of the room showing each other our turkey pictures. Surrounded by knowledgeable dog people from all over the world & we can't stop talking about our turkeys! Ya'll have ruined me!

Coffee...loved the update on your birds!

It was in the high 70s here the week before the snow so now it is in the 30s with 25°F the night before last. Its just normal springtime in Wyoming.

Last edited:
Hi Folks,
I am sorry to break into this discussion with a different thread but I trust your advice and I need it. One of my roosters started sneezing. I treated him with Denagard for 5 days as recommended but I think I under dosed and it came back. The the other rooster got sick and last night the 2nd one was foaming at the beak and wheezing. started them all on a stronger dose of Denagard. But just now I noticed that my Tom, who hasn't appeared sick but lives in the same pen, is making a noise like someone sucking up the last remains of a milkshake. So he has it too! Please help!

I was going after some Tylan 200 injectable for the chickens. I read 3/4 cc injected into the breast. Should I do this for Tommy, too?

I work plus take care of the animals and a 90 year old so I guess this developed more quickly than I was able to respond and I feel terrible. TThank you for any advice you can give me.

Hi Folks,
I am sorry to break into this discussion with a different thread but I trust your advice and I need it. One of my roosters started sneezing. I treated him with Denagard for 5 days as recommended but I think I under dosed and it came back. The the other rooster got sick and last night the 2nd one was foaming at the beak and wheezing. started them all on a stronger dose of Denagard. But just now I noticed that my Tom, who hasn't appeared sick but lives in the same pen, is making a noise like someone sucking up the last remains of a milkshake. So he has it too! Please help!

I was going after some Tylan 200 injectable for the chickens. I read 3/4 cc injected into the breast. Should I do this for Tommy, too?

I work plus take care of the animals and a 90 year old so I guess this developed more quickly than I was able to respond and I feel terrible. TThank you for any advice you can give me.
Tylan injections cause permanent muscle damage at the injection site. Your issue sounds a lot like MG, and Denagard is supposed to be a good treatment for that. I would give a concentrated dose orally at least once a day as well as putting it in the water (in case they aren't drinking much). Rather than Tylan, you could consider Oxytetracycline, which I believe has a synergistic effect with Dengard, but please research that before going off my memory.

I have been doing the Denagard in water and orally. I have Oxytetracycline. Do I inject or use in water on this case?
I would recommend searching on Denegard on this site, I think that is where I read they can be used together for MG. I tend not to use injections, I'm a bit squeamish about such things, so oral is the way I go.

Back
Top Bottom