A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I was thinking you could market them as the "perfect backyard" chicken on Craigslist. Tout their merits. They would be my chicken of choice if I were to raise chickens.

Ralph....I rather like your selection! You can do a ton with the Palms & Bourbon x your blues! I've always been curious about the hollands...I'll be interested in what you think of them. And some new blues will just diversify your flock. This will be fun....keeping my fingers crossed for a good hatch.

My Porter eggs arrived!

3 -blacks
3- Bourbon Reds
4- Bronze
8- Royal Palms
3- Blues/self blue
3  white hollands.-

I hope I get a good hatch and have these to mix in for breeders next year!   I was hoping against hope for sweetgrass or Narragansetts.   I am happy with them....  I should have asked for no Blues, but that was not an option of theirs.

Hope the hatch goes well good luck hopfully it isn't windy there like it is here so the power doesn't go out on your eggs.

Ralphie....I was thinking about your quest for a Foo Foo bird for the suburban backyard chicken owners. Why not market your SS as the perfect suburban chicken. Friendly, socially interactive, too heavy bodied to fly over fences....and all the eye candy you could ask for. Clean legged...so no mud or snow build up on leg feathers . Rather non-broody and fairly quiet. What more could you ask for in a city chicken?

Hmm, mine have been known to fly over fences (4-5 foot) and they chatter a lot! My jerk of a roo is about to meet the deep freeze. That said, the hens are very friendly. I've got 6 SS babies hatched today and 18 more to go.

I can't get to my chicken coop. It's being swarmed by bees. I'm waiting until after dark to go down. So annoying.

My SS are too rotund to get more than a couple feet off the ground. And they chatter, but it's just chicken talk. My Barnvelders scream at the top of their lungs before & after laying eggs. And my Australorps have a weird way of whining, loudly.

Dang it's hot down here. Daisy got in the baby pool. Guess there is only about 2-3 inches of water in it. After standing there for a few moments, she spread her wings out & gracefully laid down. Effectively blocking access to the pool for any other fowl. :rolleyes:

My SS roo was a belly button. Now he is the perfect roo. I just had to show him I was superior to him. A couple holding,petting, belly rubbing, comb washing, walks around the farm and he is not a problem anymore.

He did try to jump his door the other night, but that got him the same loving treatment...

My SS roo, Gregory Peck, was a good guy. Let him go "spread the love" in a bigger flock of ladies. I realized I'd never have enough hens to make Mr. Peck happy. I do miss him. But he's a happy boy & my girls are more relaxed.

Had the turkey girls out early this morning while I watered in the gardens. They had a great time hunting bugs. So much fun to watch their hunting technique. There isn't much plant wise they will nibble on. So they focus on spiders & little moth things. I waste all kinds of time just watching my turkeys. :rolleyes:

I set up a small wading pool in the broad breasted grow out pen, it's been 95 last few days here. What a great idea! They like it, but then they all seem to poop in it when they stand in there too...

My in laws are coming, I always get so nervous, even though my MIL is really nice. I think I will be hanging out with the birds. 2 to 3 weeks of in laws!
1f613.png

Back
Top Bottom