A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

big red almost finished with the molt! He looks so much darker

Hello, my name is bryan. I am new to turkeys, well birds for that matter. I have harvested my share of wild turkeys and pheasant . I am an active rabbit hunter and raise hunting beagles. I figure its time to raise something i can eat. I currently have 4 Narangasetts , 4 BBB and 4 that were advertised Artisan gold. I was told they are a cross of black and BB. My plan is to harvest the BBBs this winter but may hold back a hen to cross with either the narr. Tom or artisan gold tom. Do you all reccomend breeding like type to like type or crossing varieties. I am raising for myself or close friends if i have enough. I plan on getting some pure bred holland whites if i can find some soon. Well thanks for reading.
[/IMG]

As long as you don't sell crosses as pure, my opinion is that you can set your breeding program any way you like. Remember that broad breasted birds can have issues related to their tremendous rapid growth, so be sure to watch for it in the hen you hold back.

Ralph - Ethel is an awesome turkey, and she makes beautiful babies. I want an Ethel, but haven't found one with her looks and personality yet
smile.png

Memphis - your girls are so sweet, and I totally agree - working in the yard without the birds is just no fun
lol.png
I love how they have to check out everything and inspect progress....

Peeled another three 5 gallon pails of apples today. I'm tired of apples
hmm.png
. Tomorrow I'll start on the darn plums for a change of pace. We have literally tons of plums - I don't know who thought the 8 or 10 large plum trees was a good idea.... I'm not fond of pears, so I've just been telling people to come by and pick if they want them; waste of my energy to pick and peel something I don't want to eat
tongue.png

We have 2 apple trees, a pear and a plum tree. I wouldn't normally eat the pears - they are those green conference pears - but I have found that quartering, coring and drying them results in the most delicious candy like dried fruit! We have an old Garland gas stove that always has a pilot light on so we are constantly drying fruit in there this time of year.... try it with a few pears and see what you think.

What a great idea! Drying on a pilot light.

I do not have a pilot light so I am forced to use my dehydrator. BUT you got me thinking I wonder if my incubators would work to dry fruit.

I have figured out my turkeys are plotting against me! Last night I did not even get their "treat" into the coop/pen before Ethel Jr was in the door and bawling me out for not dumping it out fast enough. When I went outside to "run" them in, the self blue hen ran away from the coop. I got her headed the right way and she rain in. JJ on the other hand, got to the door and turned away as if he was going to refuse. The good thing about JJ being the one assigned to give me my exercise chasing turkeys is his dignity.

He is way to dignified to actually run, unless he is running towards food. He would never run away from food. So he just lumbered the other direction so I could step in front of him and point to the door. Then he gave up and walked inside.

Turkeys are not normal!

You have to suffer through the picture to read my post. I hate re-writing them. BYC went down and refused to take my post so I took a picture of it..

Here is a "toad">

Last edited:
Ralphie....I agree....turkeys aren't our idea of normal! But thats what makes them so much fun!!

Turkeytruff- I'll try the pears in the dehydrator and see what I think :). At this time of year I'm drying tons of fruit anyway so I'll slide a few pears in and see if I like them better dried!

Ralph - your toads are huge. They are nice looking birds too! It would be hilarious if you found an off-season use for incubators - fruit dryers :D

speaking of normal...Is it for 5 jakes to go after a broody BJG chicken every time she comes off the nest..they also go after a cx hen I held back...
needless to say they are now separated. The turkeys have been with the chickens since I got the BBB and at 8wks for the 4 nari. They are now 22 and 20 wks old...and playing rip off the other's snood games LOL

Back
Top Bottom