A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I thought I had escaped the dreaded "Broody Turkey " issue. I'll be dang if my Bourbon, Annie, isn't broody. Shes sitting on one lousy non-fertilized egg in 100 degree weather.
barnie.gif
lau.gif

I had four broody hens each sitting on one fake egg for the past month. Last week I took their eggs away and all are now back in the general population.

Good luck.

Thanks R2elk :rolleyes: I'll take it away. When I go out she comes off the nest. Runs to the dust bath spa, then from there she runs to the zero entry wading pond. After she's damp & muddy she runs over to me to preen. Which involves splattering me when she shakes. She keeps an emergency on that nest the whole time. If a chicken looks like its getting close she will guard it.

Thanks R2elk
roll.png
I'll take it away. When I go out she comes off the nest. Runs to the dust bath spa, then from there she runs to the zero entry wading pond. After she's damp & muddy she runs over to me to preen. Which involves splattering me when she shakes. She keeps an emergency on that nest the whole time. If a chicken looks like its getting close she will guard it.

I would give her a fake egg and let her be broody for about a month and then take it away. They seem to break easier for me if given the normal amount of time to set before trying to break them.

Good luck.

I've had better luck trying to break them right from the start. Pebbles almost starved herself to death sitting for about 2 months straight and she would not break. The second time she tried, I started trying to break get immediately and it only took about a week to get her officiant off the nest.

Thanks R2elk :rolleyes: I'll take it away. When I go out she comes off the nest. Runs to the dust bath spa, then from there she runs to the zero entry wading pond. After she's damp & muddy she runs over to me to preen. Which involves splattering me when she shakes. She keeps an emergency on that nest the whole time. If a chicken looks like its getting close she will guard it.

Eek! You didn't escape the broody bug :p. I was able to "discourage" Big Bird right at the beginning and so far she hasn't tried again. Coco was an entirely different matter :oops: and also tried to starve herself. Good luck!

On the humorous side - I laughed my way all the way through changing my car battery after work today - very close supervision from the bourbon boys while working. :rolleyes:

Feisty....you really think those boys are going to let you do ANYTHING without their help! :lol: Around here I'm under the constant supervision of the "Inspector Generals". They may not be a big help, but they sure don't hesitate to comment!

I'll take her egg away today. Hope I didnt wait too long.

We've dived into a new adventure...Ralph's not going to like it lol. We brought home this new baby to keep an injured pullet company. Meet Cocoa, the muscovy duckling! She's doing her job well and became fast friends with little Mira :)

Back
Top Bottom