A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I have some very sad news for Holms'.....Besides my finding a wife for him.

The red blue bronze turkey has had a sex change operation. I thought I had 3 hens I wanted to get rid of, for the last 3-4 weeks I have been thinking the one hen is sure getting big........

And the tail is getting wider and longer. I have even "gobbled" to the group to see if it answers. I find if I yel or gobble the boys all answer. The red-blue bronze never does. I have never seen it strut. So I assumed it was just a big hen. it has a little longer snood but not Tom Size. It never plays in all the tom games.

Yesterday, I saw a black turkey I was also wondering the sex on, thinking it might be a Tom, Lying on the ground in front of the red-blue. A very pretty red-blue I might add. I thought the Black was hurt because it's head was almost on the ground and did not look right...

When I walked over, I noticed the red-blue had a 3 inch snood...Where in the H di that come from? Was my first thought. Then the redblue mounted the Black and did the dance. I broke them up and chased them off, but knew I would have to tell Holms about this development. Either I had the sexes of those two turkeys wrong, OR they have decided to brace an alternative lifestyle.

So from now on when someone shows a picture of a young turkey and asks what sex it is. Please disregard whatever I say because it is obvious I have no idea what I am talking about.

PS Holm, I think I can still remember how to cinch down a saddle to teach you.

Last edited:
lau.gif

Sorry Ralph...but it is kind of funny!

I know, I just find it unbelievable how hard some of them can be to tell what they are.

Romeo got some serious attention this morning. My daughter had 7 friends spend the night last night for her birthday and this morning she took then all outside to meet Romeo. He was a little intimidated at first but ended up in the center of a big circle of girls all petting him. In his excitement, he started "tap dancing" for them lol. He was following them around the yard while they were all looking at all the rest of the animals :)

Well, I spent yesterday moving 50+ cubic yards of sawdust into the greenhouse. Hope to get the breeding pens built this weekend in an effort to avoid the juvenile activity. Do you use nest boxes or just a brush pile?

Romeo...the star of the show!! I bet those kids loved him! How cool. I think its great when kids get a chance to interact with animals they don't normally get a chance to meet.

Rjohn, I just lean a pallet up against a wall.

Yesterday I went wheeling out the back gate with the girls in tow only to run into a guy changing the gas meter on the house next door. Not sure who was more startled....him or Annie, he had a hardhat on! After everyone was introduced and he removed the offending hat, he ended up holding Daisy & I took a selfie of him. He'd never met a turkey before. While we were taking pictures, Annie was rustling through his tool box. LOL!

Oh darn Ralphie. So is there for sure two hens. I am perfectly fine with two hens. I am really only gonna hatch to sell and some for the freezer

Oh darn Ralphie. So is there for sure two hens. I am perfectly fine with two hens. I am really only gonna hatch to sell and some for the freezer

I have other hens you can pick from... I think this guy would look good in your freezer.

I wish I could find someone that needed a good looking red-blue bronze Tom. He will be huge when full grown and is pretty meek and mellow for me to not be able to tell he was a tom.

Back
Top Bottom