A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Years ago when I was raising BBWs, I would use electrical tape to go around the body and wings to prevent the flapping. A cone would accomplish the same thing.

You can do a search in the Meat Birds ETC forum to find information about how to do the brain piercing method which if done correctly allows the feathers to be just brushed off. It creates the same type of response that occurs when a turkey is trying to escape capture and the feathers just come off in your hands.

I found out that I was using the improper method and piercing the wrong part of the brain so it didn't work for me.

Nowadays I just shoot the turkeys in the back of the head with a .22, wait for the body to relax and then chop off its head. They often do go through the stage where the feathers are easily removed if I hit just the right part of the brain.

Good luck.

I will have check that out. And good idea on the 22!and the tape. This was our first time doin tuckeys and only second for chickens. So it was a learnin thing. We are gonna do heritage breeds next year to try them out. The guys did a chicken earlier in the week when tryin the plucker improvements. Mama had hand surgery and the preacher came to visit her... i sent him on his way with a big basket of thank you for it and sent that bird with him. So we havent even tasted the rangers... but tuesday we will i am positive!

THAts very interesting and I can't wait to look it up when I am at a real computer!
Apparently it is referred to as pithing. Here is a place to start looking. Once upon a time I had found a post that contained diagrams showing how and where the technique should be applied. I have no doubt that if done properly that it will work. The closest method that I tried that did the best for me was by chopping through the head and brain rather than by chopping through the neck. When I hit the right spot, there was no flapping or fighting just a completely limp bird and the feathers came out relatively easy without scalding.

Description of proper process.

I believe that it is becoming a lost art since the ones that I heard about the method from were old timers when I was young.

Last edited:
I learned of "pithing" when in college and I had to pith my frog. I was not good at that either. I hope I did it correctly then. We had to pith our frog then use electrical stimulation on nerves to identify the nerve and muscle groups the nerve controlled.

For me it was not so much a lost art, but another art I failed to perform well at.

Interesting and thank you

I wonder if this is what my friend was trying to show/teach me when I was younger

He would open ther mouths and cut their 'nerves' is what he said then cut their necks open to bleed out but not off

Might have to ask him the next time I see him, haven't killed birds with him in probably 17 years but he still does it

Thanks!!

Interesting and thank you

I wonder if this is what my friend was trying to show/teach me when I was younger

He would open ther mouths and cut their 'nerves' is what he said then cut their necks open to bleed out but not off

Might have to ask him the next time I see him, haven't killed birds with him in probably 17 years but he still does it

Thanks!!
Sounds like that is what he is doing. Those that know what they are doing swear by the method and those that are doing it wrong swear at the method.

I need to get canning supplies... that's how I know I'm an adult because I asked for canning stuff for my birthday. :D

We moved and I sold off all my jars/pots because it would be a pain to move them cross country and didn't know what type of kitchen I'd have. So of course I got a kitchen with only 1 large burner that works and it's a glass top (also has a crack) so definitely can't do canning. Buuut they sell a countertop water bath canner (which is what I asked for) :)

My main issue is the house we got has no storage space (yay manufactured homes) so once I go canning crazy where do I store all the jams and such?! :barnie

storage space
Get an old dead freezer, dig a hole and bury it it leave the lid up a few inches and presto you have root cellar!

Sounds like that is what he is doing. Those that know what they are doing swear by the method and those that are doing it wrong swear at the method.
:thumbsup can't wait to talk to him!

I go canning crazy where do I store all the jams and such?!
I just pick a corner (sometimes in the middle of a room) and just stack cases of home canned goodies. Of course there is no one around that can complain about it.

Right now I have 125 12 oz. full honey bears sitting in boxes on a recliner. I can't get to the table because of pickles, pickled beets, tomato juice and a super from one of the bee hives. At least the green tomato relish and canned tomatoes are not on the table.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom