A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I got one turkey egg today...

I have decided to move up the day my mean ornery Tom will lose his head by one day....

He is such a Missourian, I have to do him in. I normally hate processing birds. I might actually like doing this one.

Yesterday when I went into the pen to look for eggs I thought he was going to attack me. Today when I went in looking for eggs, I am sure he planned to attack me when I bent over the pick the egg up.

I am tired of his being a belly button. Tomorrow he will see what the PVC cutters is used for.

I looked at the first laid eggs and didn’t see any bullseyes but I’ll try again next omelette day with a newer few. I get good discounts at the feed store I work at but we only carry the cheapest little giant incubator and I don’t see the best of reviews on it.
Save your money until you can buy a good incubator. Any money you spend on a cheap incubator is money thrown away. You don't have to buy a cabinet incubator. There are smaller incubators that have good reviews. If you get a good incubator to start with, when you upgrade to a cabinet incubator at a later date, you will still be able to use your original as a hatcher.

Here is a thread right now about a Little Giant incubator that is failing right near the end of the incubation period.

I was looking at the Hova Bator genesis with the egg turner (since I know I’d forget to turn them). I also don’t have space for a cabinet incubator since my chicks are right now living in a guest bedroom and Hatched poults would probably spend a few days in the unused guest bathtub as a makeshift brooder. My house isn’t big enough for the giant cabinet ones but I might splurge on one in the future when have a shop built. As is our “storage” is a carport and I have random feed bags stacked across the floor studs in various rooms/hallways. It’s kinda like I live on a farm I guess, lol.

I was looking at the Hova Bator genesis with the egg turner (since I know I’d forget to turn them). I also don’t have space for a cabinet incubator since my chicks are right now living in a guest bedroom and Hatched poults would probably spend a few days in the unused guest bathtub as a makeshift brooder. My house isn’t big enough for the giant cabinet ones but I might splurge on one in the future when have a shop built. As is our “storage” is a carport and I have random feed bags stacked across the floor studs in various rooms/hallways. It’s kinda like I live on a farm I guess, lol.

You'd be amazed where you can stuff a cabinet bator. Mine was an addition to the living room for a year when I first got it. It's now a staple in the corner of my bedroom, along with two brooders and an old school deal with my hova bator hatcher lol

I highly recommend the Genesis -- but not the cheaper styro ones. The only issue is cleaning it, so line the sides with paper towels (tucked under the edge of the plastic liner) when you set it up to hatch.

You'd be amazed where you can stuff a cabinet bator. Mine was an addition to the living room for a year when I first got it. It's now a staple in the corner of my bedroom, along with two brooders and an old school deal with my hova bator hatcher lol

Yeah, I think my last available flat space is the kitchen
I highly recommend the Genesis -- but not the cheaper styro ones. The only issue is cleaning it, so line the sides with paper towels (tucked under the edge of the plastic liner) when you set it up to hatch.

Is the 1588 a cheapo one? It’s like $200. Looked like plastic outer at least. I mean, compared to the $600 cabinets yes, I get that it’s going to be cheaper and not as good. Used incubators around here are non existent unless it’s people selling the $50 little giant for $40 used... I’ve looked.

Yeah, I think my last available flat space is the kitchen

Is the 1588 a cheapo one? It’s like $200. Looked like plastic outer at least. I mean, compared to the $600 cabinets yes, I get that it’s going to be cheaper and not as good. Used incubators around here are non existent unless it’s people selling the $50 little giant for $40 used... I’ve looked.

The hovna bator 2362e is a good one. Very stable and solid. This was my first incubator abs I all use it every week to hatch in. I never have to adjust the temperature. It's been set for a couple years now without needing touched. I just did a quick search though and it looks like it might be a discontinued model now :/ The 2370e looks comparable though.

I looked at the first laid eggs and didn’t see any bullseyes but I’ll try again next omelette day with a newer few. I get good discounts at the feed store I work at but we only carry the cheapest little giant incubator and I don’t see the best of reviews on it.

When you start seein bullseyes in nearly every egg you crack open it is more ok to incubate.... you will have better luck that way. Way better luck. Cause if no or very few bullseyes the eggs arent feetile and if you just throw eggs in the bator without seein those you are just wastin eggs imo. Cause once they go in and dont develop they are useless.

Aurora, your husband must be very understanding....incubators, hatches, browsers in the bedroom! Pretty cool!
My girls are still edgy around each other. Never came to blows, but lots of circling. Wenches. Hormones rule here in the convent.

Rain & more rain here for the next three days. Uggg! And lots of it. The chickens seem not to mind. Makes it easier to find worms. The turkeys, not so much. They'll go out in it, but would rather hang in a covered area. Had two different couples stroll by last night with babies in strollers. Both girls love babies in strollers. Daisy walks up & stares at the babies. She seems fascinated. While Annie has to thourouly inspect the stroller. She has to poke & tug on anything she can. My neighbors are used to the girls & seem to enjoy them. But it makes me wonder about these poor babies who all of a sudden get rushed by two big birds.

Back
Top Bottom