A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Friend of mine shows Cardigans. Corgis are cool dogs! Please, we need lapper pics!!!!
Memphis, was going to try and get some today when my DD came over. Instead, she had to go into work and then her son called and said he was coming up for a couple of days - will be Sunday at the earliest now. I just don't do well trying to take pics with my phone. I tend to shut it off instead. Having a trigger finger on one hand and something wrong with another, I can't get to the button in time :O

This is awesome info! I have two RP toms, was going to put them over 1) blue slate, bourbon red, and RP, and 2) red bronze and oregon gray. I can't wait to hatch some and see what the babies look like.
Royal Palm tom over Bourbon Red hen = Golden Narragansett hens and Red Bronze toms. A person that has been around those poults on a regular basis might be able to them apart at the hatch.

Golden Narragansett poults

Red Bronze poults

All Red Bronzes are not equal. Depending on the original cross that made the Red Bronze, they may be carrying multiple hidden recessive color genes. Irregardless, breeding a Red Bronze hen back to a Royal Palm can produce a large number of different varieties.

Oregon Grays can also be carrying hidden recessive color genes but if not crossing an Oregon Gray hen with a Royal Palm hen will produce both Oregon Grays and Dark Grays carrying the hidden recessive Black Winged Bronze gene.

Interesting R2elk. Always so knowledgeable.

Told my sister was hoping she could bring a turkey back under her seat. LOL! You should have heard her!! She has no sense of adventure when it comes to turkeys!
I am sure that you don't want this Tri-Color Mottled Slate. I have strong suspicions that it is a tom. The Tri-Color Mottled Black is showing indications of being a hen.

Royal Palm tom over Bourbon Red hen = Golden Narragansett hens and Red Bronze toms. A person that has been around those poults on a regular basis might be able to them apart at the hatch.

Golden Narragansett poults

Red Bronze poults

All Red Bronzes are not equal. Depending on the original cross that made the Red Bronze, they may be carrying multiple hidden recessive color genes. Irregardless, breeding a Red Bronze hen back to a Royal Palm can produce a large number of different varieties.

Oregon Grays can also be carrying hidden recessive color genes but if not crossing an Oregon Gray hen with a Royal Palm hen will produce both Oregon Grays and Dark Grays carrying the hidden recessive Black Winged Bronze gene.
The blue slates, bourbon red hens are hatchery bought. The red bronze are resulting from crossing those hens with hatchery standard bronze, which also gave me the oregon grays. Clearly someone was carrying a recessive gene in the hatchery stock. The royal palms were hatchery stock bought this year.

The blue slates, bourbon red hens are hatchery bought. The red bronze are resulting from crossing those hens with hatchery standard bronze, which also gave me the oregon grays. Clearly someone was carrying a recessive gene in the hatchery stock. The royal palms were hatchery stock bought this year.
Red Bronze produced by crossing Bronze and Bourbon Red should not have any hidden recessive color genes. While red is a recessive color gene, it is an incomplete recessive needing only one copy of the gene to display some of the red traits.

As for the Oregon Gray, someone had to have been carrying a recessive white (c) gene and someone a recessive color (cg) gene. And both parents would have had to be carrying the Narragansett (n) gene. There is no way to get Oregon Grays by Bronze toms with Bourbon Red or Blue Slate hens. It is possible to get by breeding Bronze Semi-Color toms carrying a hidden Narragansett gene with Narragansett Semi-Color Semi-Gray hens. Oregon Grays are listed as bb cgc nn.

Either you don't have Oregon Grays or you did not have Bronze turkeys.

That makes me fell better. We are running a convent after all. LOL! Still relieved both of the poults are girls! Now....they can become little divas!! Girls just wanna have fun...

I have an inkling if a wild Tom passes your way next spring you will find your convent resembling more a brothel than what you have now..

:lau:lau:lau

Red Bronze produced by crossing Bronze and Bourbon Red should not have any hidden recessive color genes. While red is a recessive color gene, it is an incomplete recessive needing only one copy of the gene to display some of the red traits.

As for the Oregon Gray, someone had to have been carrying a recessive white (c) gene and someone a recessive color (cg) gene. And both parents would have had to be carrying the Narragansett (n) gene. There is no way to get Oregon Grays by Bronze toms with Bourbon Red or Blue Slate hens. It is possible to get by breeding Bronze Semi-Color toms carrying a hidden Narragansett gene with Narragansett Semi-Color Semi-Gray hens. Oregon Grays are listed as bb cgc nn.

Maybe they are not Oregon grays? That's what I was told they were based on their fluff color. Posted here and the Porter FB group.

They are gray/blue like the slate hens, but they have a reddish brownish band on their feathers. The ones who had the standard slate fluff didn't get this band and look slate.

This is the best pic of one of the hens I have on my phone, will try to get more pics this weekend.
KIMG5802.JPG

View attachment 1913470
This is a picture of the parents. They've been in the enclosed cage and haven't gotten out and no other turkey has gotten in. The wild tom turkey paces outside, if there was a way in he would have used it by now.

View attachment 1913470
This is a picture of the parents. They've been in the enclosed cage and haven't gotten out and no other turkey has gotten in. The wild tom turkey paces outside, if there was a way in he would have used it by now.
Sorry your attachment is showing as an error.

Your hen is definitely not an Oregon Gray. If you had a Bourbon Red tom that mated with a Blue Slate hen, you would have a Rusty Slate. The only other possibility is that your Blue Slate hen was a Barred Slate and mating her with a Bronze tom could produce a Red Slate.

One other possibility is that the tom was a Red Bronze which also could make a Rusty Slate.

My guess is that she is a Rusty Slate.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom