A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Aghhh....good for your daughter! Get it now. I will graciously accept the fact every bird living here is on winter break. Still feels weird eating eggs from birds I don't know!
You could try quail, mine live in a shipping container and the darn things won't stop laying. I think they only get about 12 hours of light.

Yes but we have had lights on them for a month! If DD wants to be competitive in the meat class with a heritage pen then they have to hatch in jan.
Alicia, which heritage breeds do you use for meat birds? I’m thinking I’m gonna learn to caponize and go with heritage breeds this year instead of the hybrids. I don’t mind keeping them longer in summer (if summer comes). Any favorites?

Poor little chicken. Luckily I've never had issues with my turkeys & chickens. Hopefully that continues.
Alicia....your getting turkeys eggs? Nobody here has layed an egg in ages. Slackers!!
I know... her poor little eyes are all swollen nearly shut. I made her some comfrey/honey/coconut oil salve. Mostly because a dressing would never survive even if it weren’t her head that needs dressing. The salve will stick on its own. She opened her beak for her electrolyte water but she’s not eating or drinking (that I’ve seen) on her own yet. Another half-hour and I think I’d have found her dead.

I don’t get all that attached to my individual birds, but I hate to see them hurting. :(

Yeah....suffering animals kill me.

Alicia...I remember her Res. Championship!

Hi Sara! I wish I had time for quail! They are so darn cute!! But my divas suck all my extra energy. With it being so cold & wet, they are now demanding muck boots! It just doesn't stop. Where they get these ideas I don't know. I thought their leggings & turtleneck sweaters were enough. Daisy was asking for a pedicure again. The teenagers want tiaras. Always something.....

Yeah....suffering animals kill me.

Alicia...I remember her Res. Championship!

Hi Sara! I wish I had time for quail! They are so darn cute!! But my divas suck all my extra energy. With it being so cold & wet, they are now demanding muck boots! It just doesn't stop. Where they get these ideas I don't know. I thought their leggings & turtleneck sweaters were enough. Daisy was asking for a pedicure again. The teenagers want tiaras. Always something.....
:lau

Alicia, which heritage breeds do you use for meat birds? I’m thinking I’m gonna learn to caponize and go with heritage breeds this year instead of the hybrids. I don’t mind keeping them longer in summer (if summer comes). Any favorites?
Our original brood I hatched from eggs that came from a flock where the guy had standard bronze and chocolate turkeys from privet hatchery running together. I have crossed in some blood from a half BB bird. Of the last 2 we butchered one was significantly bigger. I believe the standard bronze are supposed to be a little bigger? The 2 hens I ended up with are bigger frames than my other girls, except the half BB.

I think the coonhound must have killed something. He's antsy & keep running out to the back part of the yard and returns in about 10 minutes. I'm not about to wander around in the wet & cold tonight looking for it. Hopefully he'll settle down. An antsy coonie is a PITA!!

Back
Top Bottom