A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

so I started my new job this week... it's so different! My first day, my supervisor told me there are no deadlines around here, there's always tomorrow...:eek: So far, I've just been riding along with someone and cleaning bathrooms at the campground. It's not bad at all! I'm supposedly mowing in the campground the first couple days of next week so one of the guys introduced to the mowers yesterday. For about an hour I was following him around with each of us on a mower (my first time on a zero turn) learning. They're touchy! I hit a rock and pushed over a flexible sign on my first attempt (no damage) but then got the hang of it lol. It's a very relaxed job and winters are off.

On the flock front, I've actually been able to get the flock fed in the morning before I leave and spend a little time with them and in the evenings, I'm not exhausted and can close up the coops :) I missed doing all that!

Hey folks! I've been sick. Finally better. Was getting pushed to get a covid test but it's an 8-9 hour wait. PLUS what if I have it & they try to put me in the hospital?? There is no way they'd let Daisy take naps with me!! Not leaving Daisy! She was a huge part of my recovery. She'd sit in my lap forever giving me side eye. As if she knew something wasnt right. So I fought it out with my Turkey's help. Turkeys can be amazing. Of course my sister was completely freaked out and threatened to drive down here. However! Shes expecting her first grandchild at any point. So I was saved!! So that's what's going on here! Missed you all!!
:hugs:hugs:hugs
I wondered what you was up to!
Hate to hear you've been sick. 😷🤧😷🥴🤒

Between Daisy & the coonhound...they reduced my stress. And annoyed my sister. Blossom kept yapping at her & Marigold wanted her sandals. Teach her to come down here with painted toes. The hund kind of ignored her & stayed curled up in bed with me. Daisy was all about me. She loves her moma. As Fred knows...my pets are very different than hers!

My RP chicks will be arriving next week. I want to make sure I do all I can to ensure they stay healthy. We raise chickens so I worry about possible blackhead. The coop/run I plan on putting my turkeys in has housed chickens very recently. How can I prepare the area to help prevent any possible blackhead infection? I've read treating the area with lime will kill the protozoa that cause blackhead.

Last edited:
We got a new lady yesterday. Technically, I hatched her a few months ago but her family had a sudden issue. Sad situation involving a young family and a pfa against the fiancé. But anyway, Molly was the lady's pet. She couldn't take her with her and was afraid the fiancé would hurt her so I went and picked her up. She's in the seperation pen inside the coop but I did let her out for a while with supervision. She was only living with chickens before.

Molly in the middle checking out Phil and Pineapple on the right, checking out Molly lol

20200711_115721.jpg

Molly and Pineapple

20200711_115733.jpg

Pineapple decided to start strutting...I blame the petty little lady he just met lol

20200711_120028.jpg

Molly and the so far un named Tom (maybe Phil's replacement)

20200711_120048.jpg

She was very much a pet at her old house so she's very bonded to people. DD and Molly

20200711_120937.jpg

My RP chicks will be arriving next week. I want to make sure I do all I can to ensure they stay healthy. We raise chickens so I worry about possible blackhead. The coop/run I plan on putting my turkeys in has housed chickens very recently. How can I prepare the area to help prevent any possible blackhead infection? I've read treating the area with lime will kill the protozoa that cause blackhead.
Others who know more will chime in. If you live on rich soil there may be blackhead there. There also may not be. Your county extension office may be able to give you some information on the likelihood. I live on a mixed soil--some very rich black; other places thin and rocky. My turkeys haven't had any problems though they run with the chickens always. Hopefully yours won't either. I haven't heard about the lime.

Others who know more will chime in. If you live on rich soil there may be blackhead there. There also may not be. Your county extension office may be able to give you some information on the likelihood. I live on a mixed soil--some very rich black; other places thin and rocky. My turkeys haven't had any problems though they run with the chickens always. Hopefully yours won't either. I haven't heard about the lime.

Thank you! I will call them on Monday! 😊

Other than your flock is eye candy....what strikes me is that with all going on in this womans life, she took the time to make sure her pet turkey was in a safe place. I think that's cool. Cute pic of your DD. Poor Molly is all snuggled up against her feeling safe. And GEEZ your kids are growing up!

Back
Top Bottom